PDA

View Full Version : Saturation

kuren84
23-12-09, 22:44
Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question but how can you make colours really pop and boost the saturation in your photos? I'd like a way to do this with out using editing software. Many thanks
Kevin

yelvertoft
23-12-09, 23:22
Your camera has probably got a setting in a menu somewhere to adjust the level of saturation to be applied. Have a read of the manual. It would help if we knew what camera you were talking about. In all honesty, you're much better off doing this with photo editing software.

kuren84
24-12-09, 08:00
thanks i'll have a look in the manual.
Kevin

Roy C
24-12-09, 10:22
Making images 'pop' is not just saturation but also contrast and sharpness. Like has already been mentioned, this is best done in processing.

The Wanderer
27-12-09, 22:37
HI Kevin,
It can be done by the custom white balance setting, because if your whites are off then so are the rest of the colours. Use a white piece of paper or get hold of a WB card (cheap at Jessops) place it near what your taking an Image of, fill the frame of the white paper. (Does not have to be in focus) take an Image of the paper and then go to your WB settings on your camera (refer to your manual) select custom WB and then select the Paper you have just taken an image of. Then take an Image of the subject. And there you have it. Compare the one with and without and you will see that you have that boosted saturation. As you want to do it all in camera then shoot in JPEG as you'll have that sharpnes compared to RAW.
And if you want even more saturation, as mentioned above then see if your camera has settings like vivid. Also If you do decide to edit in photoshop and take the image to another level, then LAB is the best for colour alterations, you can use hue/sat in RGB but its old school and you have better transitions in LAB.

If you struggle give us a shout.

Hope you had a great Xmas.

PS. If the lighting conditions change then you have to do another custom WB or you will have some very different results. Also have a play with the WB settings In the camera, like daylight or tungsten you might like what they come up with.

ArtphotoasiA
23-01-10, 20:43
My 2 cents...

1) raw quality shooting will create pale shoots but is ok
2) developing raw use vibrancy and saturation in Lightroom... also autotune feature will help a lot

Alex1994
25-01-10, 20:11
Use slide film, preferably Fuji Velvia 50 :P

miketoll
27-01-10, 11:53
Use slide film, preferably Fuji Velvia 50 :P

What's that? :p:confused::p

robski
27-01-10, 14:31
Use slide film, preferably Fuji Velvia 50
What's that?

It's that stuff you have to boil in chemicals for 20 minutes and cut into little pieces and mount in frames :rolleyes:

Remember the Cadbury's Smash advert

the origin of ROFL

:D:D:D

Alex1994
27-01-10, 17:33
What's that? :p:confused::p

Burn him...

andy153
27-01-10, 20:43
I remember how to do that...... you light the little tail that comes out of the can marked Ektachrome 64 and stand clear......? :D

miketoll
27-01-10, 21:46
Burn him...

Mmmm, there is me asking a serious question and that's the answer you give? It can only mean you don't really know yourself (:o) but do not worry I have sussed it out - Canon call it picture styles but Fuji for some reason call one of theirs Velvia mode which stands for their over saturated unrealistic mode, presumably in Japanese. There, sorted! :D

Alex1994
27-01-10, 22:03
Mmmm, there is me asking a serious question and that's the answer you give? It can only mean you don't really know yourself (:o) but do not worry I have sussed it out - Canon call it picture styles but Fuji for some reason call one of theirs Velvia mode which stands for their over saturated unrealistic mode, presumably in Japanese. There, sorted! :D

Blasphemer! You be not acquainted with the unilateral omnipotence of Velvia 50 slide film?!

miketoll
27-01-10, 22:24
That's the film that people like Lee Frost and other pros bought up and filled their chest freezers with so they would survive for years into the new age of digital and then eventually discovered the joys of digital so now don't know what to do with the stuff? It had it's place if you liked the way it interpreted the world and was good for it's day. I rather like the way Wet Plates interpreted the world but that is another story......:)

Alex1994
27-01-10, 23:01
The joys of digital? What joys? Substandard resolving power, saturation, dynamic range and storage in a medium that will soon enough become obsolete?

miketoll
27-01-10, 23:23
Ooops, you are riled now. :D We ought to start a new thread rather than hijack this one. Apologies to the OP.

Alex1994
27-01-10, 23:25
Ooops, you are riled now. :D We ought to start a new thread rather than hijack this one. Apologies to the OP.

Perhaps you ought to change your name to miketroll :P :P

miketoll
27-01-10, 23:54
LOL Have started a new thread so can leave this one alone.

yelvertoft
28-01-10, 09:36
Perhaps you ought to change your name to miketroll :P :P

I'm only seeing one troll in this thread, and his name isn't Mike. :rolleyes:

Don Hoey
28-01-10, 18:10
The joys of digital? What joys? Substandard resolving power, saturation, dynamic range and storage in a medium that will soon enough become obsolete?

A quick catchup and I see we have some excitement here.

Velvia .............. yep, used tons of that so I know it. By the way Alex that film would NOT outresolve Tech Pan, and I have used loads of that. So although I do not have a scanner I do have these in slide and neg form in 6x6 format.

So I read "substandard resolving power", "saturation" and wonder what digital kit you have used for you to make that comparison. :confused:

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to the kit you used to make your determinations. I will read Mikes thread, as that was the first one I glanced at and will post in that thread. Maybe you will answer my question in that thread so that we can understand where you are comming from.

May need a bit of typing time. :D

Don