World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   News & Views from the World of Photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Jessops memory prices (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1902)

Leif 02-03-07 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonkit (Post 17655)
Good luck with the marketing campaign ;)

I think that's a bit unfair.

Joe 02-03-07 19:01

Hey, don't worry about it Leif. I'm pretty thick skinned.
My intention was to inform those here, rather than market Jessops in particular. I find it way more constructive.
In answer to the postings from a while back, there's also some other price matching policies started up. Without giving too much away, now would be a good time to go buy this months more popular photography magazines....not that I now intend to market any particular magazines! LOL LOL!

simonkit 02-03-07 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 17751)
Hey, don't worry about it Leif. I'm pretty thick skinned.
My intention was to inform those here, rather than market Jessops in particular. I find it way more constructive.
In answer to the postings from a while back, there's also some other price matching policies started up. Without giving too much away, now would be a good time to go buy this months more popular photography magazines....not that I now intend to market any particular magazines! LOL LOL!

Guess you might have to be a bit thick skinned working at Jessops, sure you meet the odd disgruntled potential customer

I'm fully supportive of people providing the wider community with useful information, providing it's accurate & unbiased. I guess this was the intention of the original thread poster, highlighting the difference between prices at different retailers.

Anyway considering the Jessops shareprice I hope they become more competitive & manage to turn things around - I certainly wouldn't like to see the company in trouble - believe it or believe it not I have actually bought one or two things from their shops & probably will in future, with one eye always on competing prices

simon

Joe 02-03-07 22:21

Yes, the Jessops share price took a bit of a nose dive recently folowing the press release indicating sales well below forecast since the xmas period. I think these new offers and a few more to come are efforts to get those sales back on track.
I know from some recent company info that whilst there's well over 300 stores now within the UK so far, and still plans for new ones opening, The new Cardiff 'World camera centre' (the larger format city store types like those in Leicester, Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, London etc) does still indicate Jessops as a company is healthy and continuing to grow.
The company do have their fingers in several pies, other things like the recent Tecno takeover branching into other electronics markets, does perhaps indicate a taster of things to come.
It's certainly not all doom and gloom just yet.
It's just a shame my surname isn't Jessop.....I don't think I'd need to save up for any new DSLR's if it were!!!

steve2005 03-03-07 02:37

Judging by the level of customers present in the World Camera Centre in Birmingham over the Christmas period, I'm amazed they are still open. The staff levels were out stripping the customers.
We have three Jessops in Birmingham. The only one worth it's salt is on Colmore Row, this was a Cequip store which Jessops bought out. It is the only store where the staff have any knowledge of there products.
The last twice I used Jessops World Camera Centre I had bad information. The first was when I needed a Nikon Remote for my D70s, I enquired how much they were only to be told, after he consulted the till, was £176.00. When I asked why they were that much the assistant said it's because it has Nikon written on it!! In reality it cost approx £14.
The last time I wanted a USB 2 PCI card, only to have the assistant tell me that they didn't stock them as he clearly did not know what they were. I insisted they did and he went off and returned with one in his hand, which I bought.
It isn't just prices that people baulk at with Jessops, it's bad advice and service as well as the prices. Thank god we have a Jacobs in Birmingham were the staff are friendly give good advice and match web prices.

robski 03-03-07 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2005 (Post 17786)
Judging by the level of customers present in the World Camera Centre in Birmingham over the Christmas period, I'm amazed they are still open. The staff levels were out stripping the customers.
We have three Jessops in Birmingham. The only one worth it's salt is on Colmore Row, this was a Cequip store which Jessops bought out. It is the only store where the staff have any knowledge of there products.
The last twice I used Jessops World Camera Centre I had bad information. The first was when I needed a Nikon Remote for my D70s, I enquired how much they were only to be told, after he consulted the till, was £176.00. When I asked why they were that much the assistant said it's because it has Nikon written on it!! In reality it cost approx £14.
The last time I wanted a USB 2 PCI card, only to have the assistant tell me that they didn't stock them as he clearly did not know what they were. I insisted they did and he went off and returned with one in his hand, which I bought.
It isn't just prices that people baulk at with Jessops, it's bad advice and service as well as the prices. Thank god we have a Jacobs in Birmingham were the staff are friendly give good advice and match web prices.

It's a shame really because Jessops could be "Number 1 in photography" as their display material suggests if they got these problems sorted out. Customer satisfaction seems to be the except at Jessops rather than the norm.