World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Photographic Accessories (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Another tripod help thread.... (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=968)

Canis Vulpes 16-04-06 17:16

Another tripod help thread....

I realise my Velbon 620 tripod was woefully inadequate and I am looking for something more sturdy to hold 4kg or more. I have a Manfrotto 682 freestanding monopod with 234RC head and QR plate so I am interested in Manfrotto gear as I could use two identical QR plates. Working height needs to be high and weight does not matter as I will not be walking far with it.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Stephen 16-04-06 18:20

I can highly recommend the 055proB with retractable spiked feet.

yelvertoft 16-04-06 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
I can highly recommend the 055proB with retractable spiked feet.

I've been having similar thoughts to Stephen myself.

Do you think the Magfibre MF3 pro is worth the extra £90 (typically) over the 055pro?

My Velbon CF530 is fine as long as there isn't the slightest bit of wind. This is rarely the case in the real world. Puff of wind and it wobbles like a jelly in a heatwave. This experience has put me of CF tripods quite a bit, so I think I've answered my own question. I'd still be interested to hear from others that have real experience of the products. I don't want to hear regurgitated opinion/theory from people that have not used these products directly.

Duncan

Leif 16-04-06 19:52

I've used a Uniloc 1600 for about 7 years and I've yet to find anything as versatile. It is well made and only costs £100 new. I recently disassembled it to clean out dirt and oil the mechanism and it now works like new.

The Uniloc 1600 Major and Benbo 1 are sturdier versions of the same thing. They are surprisingly cheap when you compare them to the competition. But they are not that light. The 1600 is 2.4Kg which is heavy compared to CF tripods. The only disadvantage is that you must be careful to hold the camera (or remove it) when loosening the central lock as the central column and all three legs will be free to move.

There's no reason why you can't put a Manfrotto head on a Uniloc. It uses a standard 1/4" thread.

If you don't need the versatility of the Uniloc/Benbo, then I guess a Manfrotto/Gitzo or whatever would be best. Gitzo is the brand that seems to be favoured by the big names.

But if you want conventional, you could check out Benro who make Gitzo clones, or rip-offs depending on your point of view. I can't comment on the build quality. They are sold in the UK by various places including Microglobe. Reckon on about £200.

Leif

Subzero 16-04-06 20:56

I have both the 055 pro and the MF3 CF tripods.These are fitted with either the 501 or 393 manfrotto heads as required.I am an avid digiscoper and also bird "snapper" and my needs may be different from yours.
So, if you grasp the leg sets at the top (near to the head platform), then the MF3 shows less flexing in the lowest leg section.
The clamping set up for the centre column on the 055 is better and less flexible than on the MF3.The MF3 has the facility to enable the centre column to be used HORIZOTALLY and also has a split (short length ) centre column suitable for using pod very close to the ground.Using the MF3 at full height with the short centre coloumn, I do not find it ( with head attached) very rigid, because the clamping arrangement does not appear to grip the lower end of the coloum very well.Having said that, with the column at full length the set up is very rigid. As stated I use both leg set for 500/4 +telecons+heavy DSLR, and have no probs with either, also have digiscoped with both with no obvious probs.
Weight maybe of concern to you, the MF3 is very light and I use this for long treks.Wind/sun/rain/heat and have not noticed any obvious difference in performance ( ie it was very windy and if only I had the 055 ,the images would have been much better).If I had to give up one then, after a lot of thought, it would be draw the shortest straw.Both are good, depends on you needs either will serve you well.For interest, I have fitted the MF3 with spikes, cost about £15 but well worth it.Hopefully Yelvertoft finds something of interest in the above, come back if you need any more.
regards Subzero.

Don Hoey 16-04-06 21:40

Stephen I have several tripods, the big Slik Proffesional you used on Saturday, Benbo Mk1, the set of bagpipes we put the Spitfire on, Manfrotto 055MF3, and an old Slik88.

I will instantly cross out the Slik88 as I only use it for my flash. Just not stable enough.

In design and weight terms terms there are differences between the others. Weights varying between 5.2Kg and 2Kg. Geared column v non geared. Spike feet and non spike feet. Twist lock leg clamping and snap lock.

I guess a good starting point would be ... Budget for legs, or total budget including head. Type of work and location that you see yourself using the tripod in and distance you may need to carry the tripod. An additional preference of geared column or non geared would also be helpful.

Don

Canis Vulpes 16-04-06 22:01

Lets leave the budget open ended yet realistic. Type of work, still life with a dual purpose for night shots of aeroplanes, cars and architecture possibly at 200+mm. Preference for Manfrotto and snap-lock legs. Walking distance less than 0.5 mile and no preference for geared or non geared column only if one is more stable than the other. Head must be able to turn camera for portrait shots, use a QR plate same as 234RC and spirit level would be good but non essential.

Don Hoey 16-04-06 22:18

Heads

A quick check shows that this one from the Manfrotto range has the Q/R plate compatablity 141RC BASIC PAN TILT HEAD W/QCK LOCK http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

The one with spirit level has a different Q/R plate ... 029 3D STANDARD CAMERA HEAD http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

I do not have any experience of these heads, so perhaps someone else does.

Don

Stephen 16-04-06 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
A quick check shows that this one from the Manfrotto range has the Q/R plate compatablity 141RC BASIC PAN TILT HEAD W/QCK LOCK http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

The one with spirit level has a different Q/R plate ... 029 3D STANDARD CAMERA HEAD http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...lsf=81&child=1

I do not have any experience of these heads, so perhaps someone else does.

Don

I do :) The O29 is the next size up so to speak, the QR plate is as you can see in the picture 6 sided. I would suggest this gives better stability for a Pro dSLR. It goes well with my 055proB but obviously adds considerably to the overall weight. The other head I would suggest is more suited to the next model down from the 055.

The 055 tripod can be splayed out to only a few inches above the ground, the centre column cmes out easily and sits horizontally in the neck of the tripod. The 029 gives full movement for the camera. I find the spirit level essential for landscape and studio work.

The best way forward is to find a branch of something like Calumet who stock the Monfrotto range and go test em.

nirofo 17-04-06 02:07

I use both the Uniloc 1600 Major and the Uniloc 1700, the 1600 is very heavy and great for most types of work where you don't have to carry it very far. The 1700 is a lighter version of the 1600 but still a very sturdy tripod, I find it great for taking on long walks. I have used it on occasions with a Nikkor 500mm f4 + converter with no problems. I also have a Manfrotto 055B but rarely use it now as I find it less versatile than the Unilocs, especially when photographing subjects close to the ground.

nirofo.

Canis Vulpes 17-04-06 16:49

I just realised, correct me if I am wrong but.... I believe I can use any tripod I wish providing I can fit a manfrotto head to it. I am happy with Manfrotto 141RC head as uses same QR plate as my existing monopod. This paves the way for other brands of 'legs'. After a quick check on prices I think total price of £200 without shipping should allow for a decent tripod for my dual purpose requirement.

Leif 17-04-06 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirofo
I use both the Uniloc 1600 Major and the Uniloc 1700, the 1600 is very heavy and great for most types of work where you don't have to carry it very far. The 1700 is a lighter version of the 1600 but still a very sturdy tripod, I find it great for taking on long walks. I have used it on occasions with a Nikkor 500mm f4 + converter with no problems. I also have a Manfrotto 055B but rarely use it now as I find it less versatile than the Unilocs, especially when photographing subjects close to the ground.

nirofo.

Out of interest, how does the 1600 compare in sturdiness to the Manfrotto 055B?

Isn't the 1700 the same as the 1600 but with a bendy bit at the end of the centre column? I'm surprised it takes a 500mm lens, though It's nice to hear. It carries my ~80mm scope with ease.

I took mine apart and was impressed by the clever design. It strikes me as far more rigid than the Gitzo Explorer due to a better centre column pivot.

Anyway, I'm somewhat off topic.

Leif

nirofo 17-04-06 19:24

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is far sturdier and heavier than the Manfrotto 055B, it's also far more versatile! The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a lightweight (comparatively) version of the 1600 Major and has the same functions, it's far more versatile than the Gitzo Explorer, but it is heavier. I use both with either a 30mm Ball and socket, or a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head, both with quick release plates by Manfrotto. I also have a very old and heavy (15lbs) MPP tripod which could be used for propping up the car in emergency. I use it when I have a long term hide set up, I just leave it in the hide for the duration and fit a Manfrotto 128RC head to it when I'm in the hide!

nirofo.

yelvertoft 17-04-06 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subzero
I have both the 055 pro and the MF3 CF tripods......
Snippety snip snip.......

Hopefully Yelvertoft finds something of interest in the above, come back if you need any more.
regards Subzero.

Thanks subzero, this is just the kind of info I was after. I was under the impression that the 055 pro model (as opposed to other sub-species of the 055) also had the ability to put the centre column in a horizontal position. Perhaps this is a feature they have recently added to the 055 line?

One of the reasons I am thinking of adding to my tripod collection is specifically to get this feature, it will make still-life setups a whole lot easier.

It seems that from what you are saying, ("I'd draw a straw"), the MF3 is not worth the extra cash for my needs at least, as long as I can get the 055 with a horizontal arm option. If this isn't possible then it would have to be the MF3pro. I intend using it with the 141RC head.

Thanks again for your help.

Duncan

yelvertoft 17-04-06 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I just realised, correct me if I am wrong but.... I believe I can use any tripod I wish providing I can fit a manfrotto head to it.

You can Stephen, but bear in mind that some manufacturers (generally the cheaper ones) use a 1/4" thread, the more upmarket brands use a 3/8" thread. You can buy an adaptor to go either way (big->small or small->big) for pennies. I use a Manfrotto head (3/8") on my velbon legs (1/4").

Duncan

Don Hoey 17-04-06 20:07

055 Magfibre Test

3 Attachment(s)
Today I tested the 055 Magfibre with my 80-200 lens. As Duncan is expressing an interest in a possible move up, this was done with 2 different requirements in mind. Compared to a lot of members this is a lightweight camera lens combo at 2.5kg.

To satisfy Stephen as far as the Q/R plate is concerned, and as this is a reqular scope fit plate I used the 701 head on the tripod. The column is slightly extended to give an eye level view through the camera. Picture attached.

I took several shots with and without release and at various shutter speeds from 1/40sec to 1/500sec. No differences were apparent. A full frame and crop pic are attached. The crop is from hand triggered at 1/40 sec.

For followers of the ' Lens hood / filters ' thread I also did the filter test. No negative effects were seen so my filter stays on. :)

My verdict on 6mp to 8mp 1.5 crop sensor this tripod is fine although I did not do a wind speed test. As I have the beefier Slik I use that when things turn breezy for scope, and or camera.

The one thing yet to be looked at is the effect of any movement on the 12mp DX sensor that Stephen has. As this will be more sensitive due to pixel density.

Don

Leif 17-04-06 21:31

Quote:

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is far sturdier and heavier than the Manfrotto 055B, it's also far more versatile! The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a lightweight (comparatively) version of the 1600 Major and has the same functions, it's far more versatile than the Gitzo Explorer, but it is heavier. I use both with either a 30mm Ball and socket, or a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head, both with quick release plates by Manfrotto. I also have a very old and heavy (15lbs) MPP tripod which could be used for propping up the car in emergency. I use it when I have a long term hide set up, I just leave it in the hide for the duration and fit a Manfrotto 128RC head to it when I'm in the hide!

nirofo.

Thanks. Maybe I'm confusing you. I have the ordinary 1600, not the 1600 major. I think it is the 1700 without the bendy bit. Leif

robski 17-04-06 23:45

Don

Have I started a trend here with the Barcode test ? I never thought it would catch on. What is the distance from your lens to target ?

I see on your test the small black & white size is 10 pixels whereas Roy's was 6 pixels. Surely you can match Roy's test. :rolleyes:

nirofo 18-04-06 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif
Thanks. Maybe I'm confusing you. I have the ordinary 1600, not the 1600 major. I think it is the 1700 without the bendy bit. Leif

Hi Leif

There's no confusion, the Uniloc 1700 Minor is a different tripod to the 1600, check out the Uniloc web link below.

http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

nirofo.

yelvertoft 18-04-06 08:19

Quote:

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is far sturdier and heavier than the Manfrotto 055B, it's also far more versatile! The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a lightweight (comparatively) version of the 1600 Major and has the same functions, it's far more versatile than the Gitzo Explorer, but it is heavier.
[snip]
nirofo.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the comparison with the Gitzo Explorer, which was on my shortlist until I read your comment. I have the use of a Uniloc at work where I find it extremely useful for being able to get a camera inside the deepest recesses of some item of faulty equipment. I grant you it is extremely versatile in this respect, but I really find it incredibly fiddly to setup. As a sassenach, I'm not into bagpipe wrestling. The Uniloc has its benefits, but I'm glad to have to leave this item at work when I go home.

Duncan.

Don Hoey 18-04-06 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by robski
Don

Have I started a trend here with the Barcode test ? I never thought it would catch on. What is the distance from your lens to target ?

I see on your test the small black & white size is 10 pixels whereas Roy's was 6 pixels. Surely you can match Roy's test. :rolleyes:

Rob,

Biggest problem I had was the wind. As this was a tripod test I had to set the target at 6 feet above ground to have the tripod on a normal working extension.

Perhaps we need a WPF test target based on your bar code idea. :D

This was an interesting experience as the first test used a 5 litre container of cement for stability but checking the results showed softness in some shots and not in others. Given that wind effect on he target was negligble due to is weight and some of the worst results were at high shutter speeds. I put the camera on my big Slik tripod and re-did the series. Same problem but at different settings to the first test. I replaced the target with the plasticiser container a bit nearer and out of the wind and used manual focus. No problems. I now recognise that my A/F does not give guaranteed accuracy on semi shiny surfaces.

Don

Leif 18-04-06 20:01

Quote:

Hi Leif

There's no confusion, the Uniloc 1700 Minor is a different tripod to the 1600, check out the Uniloc web link below.

http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

nirofo.

Yes, the 1600 and 1700 both use the same leg tubes so I reckon they are basically the same. I've seen kits to convert the 1600 into the 1700.

Anyway, do you find the bendy bit on the central column to be of use, or does it introduce weakness?

Leif

nirofo 18-04-06 23:13

Quote:

Yes, the 1600 and 1700 both use the same leg tubes so I reckon they are basically the same. I've seen kits to convert the 1600 into the 1700.

Anyway, do you find the bendy bit on the central column to be of use, or does it introduce weakness
?

Leif

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is a totally different beast to the 1600 and 1700 Minor, check the web link I included in my previous post. Yes I find the bendy bit very useful when working close to the ground, it allows me to keep the camera horizontal while still having full movement on my ball and socket head.

nirofo.

Leif 19-04-06 07:54

Quote:

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is a totally different beast to the 1600 and 1700 Minor, check the web link I included in my previous post.
nirofo.

Yes I know. I am commenting on the 1600 which I own and the 1700 which you own and not the 1600 major. I do wish they would use different names. And for their own sake they should tartify their web site to make it look more professional.

Thanks for the info on the bendy bit. It might be worth my buying one. Leif

Snowyowl 19-04-06 14:24

Quote:

Stephen I have several tripods, the big Slik Proffesional you used on Saturday, Benbo Mk1, the set of bagpipes we put the Spitfire on, Manfrotto 055MF3, and an old Slik88.

I will instantly cross out the Slik88 as I only use it for my flash. Just not stable enough.

Don

I've had a Slik 88 for more than 20 years and have always loved it. Sadly it now has a damaged lock on one leg. I keep trying to figure a way to fix the problem meanwhile I use it for shots where I don't need all the leg extension.
I have a Swarovski tripod (made by Manfroto I believe). It is very rigid and solid for using a scope but I don't particularly like it for camera use.

Stephen 19-04-06 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowyowl
I've had a Slik 88 for more than 20 years and have always loved it. Sadly it now has a damaged lock on one leg.

20 yrs eh, they don't build em to last do they :D :D

Don Hoey 19-04-06 15:49

Benbo / Uniloc

4 Attachment(s)
As this tripod has been mentioned in this thread I took a couple of pictures that might be of interst to those unfamiliar with the product.

This is a tripod that is superb for nature photography. The querky design hinges on the single operating lever. Unlock this and you have a wobbly set of bagbipes. The design allows the legs and head tube to be infinitely angled and with the lever locked up it is a very ridgid tripod. The bottom leg section is sealed so it can be used in the most hostile of environments.

Here is a link to Uniloc http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

Don

Don Hoey 19-04-06 15:52

My recommendation

3 Attachment(s)
I would recommend to Stephen that even though it breaks his budget, he looks at a studio grade tripod. The logic being that it would be capable of holding any of his kit. So it is a recommendation for the long term, without the potential need for upgrade in the future. It takes into consideration the D2X resolution and also the quality of Stephens glass.

There is no doubt that the 055 would be a significant step up from the current tripod, but with limitations.

To illustrate the differences I have attached pics comparing my Slik professional with the 055 and Benbo.

In the image of all three tripods the legs are at full extension. The D100 with 80-200 is to give scale.
As I have posted seperately for the Benbo where its top leg section can be seen, I have done a comparative pic between the 055 and the Slik.
I have included a picture of all three feet for area of surface contact, reference. The Slik obviously wins on a hard surface and the Benbo/Uniloc off road.

Don

Leif 19-04-06 17:27

I think it is worth my mentioning that IMO the Benbo Trekker, which is the smallest full size tripod in the Benbo range, is not worth buying. I found that it was not very sturdy, and is supplied with a small and inadequate ball head. I bought one about 10 years ago but it was badly made. After a year of amateur use a leg fell off and had to be glued back on, then after another 6 months the locking handle broke and I threw the remains into a dustbin.

Also note that in the pictures from Don showing the tripod feet, it looks as if the Benbo has the larger diameter legs. It doesn't. Most tripods have legs constructed from tubes that slide inside each other. Usually the widest section is at the top. But in the case of the Benbo, the widest section is at the bottom.

Leif

nirofo 19-04-06 19:15

Quote:

I think it is worth my mentioning that IMO the Benbo Trekker, which is the smallest full size tripod in the Benbo range, is not worth buying. I found that it was not very sturdy, and is supplied with a small and inadequate ball head. I bought one about 10 years ago but it was badly made. After a year of amateur use a leg fell off and had to be glued back on, then after another 6 months the locking handle broke and I threw the remains into a dustbin.

Also note that in the pictures from Don showing the tripod feet, it looks as if the Benbo has the larger diameter legs. It doesn't. Most tripods have legs constructed from tubes that slide inside each other. Usually the widest section is at the top. But in the case of the Benbo, the widest section is at the bottom

Leif

Hi Leif

I agree the Benbo Trekker is not a very well made tripod, a friend of mine had one for a while, he was always having trouble with it. The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a far more robust and versatile tripod, it's only slightly heavier than the Trekker and slightly cheaper to buy! The Uniloc range of tripods are very similar to the Benbo range, they are designed and made by the original designer of the Benbo but are superior in build quality.

nirofo.

Canis Vulpes 19-04-06 22:00

Quote:

I would recommend to Stephen that even though it breaks his budget, he looks at a studio grade tripod. The logic being that it would be capable of holding any of his kit. So it is a recommendation for the long term, without the potential need for upgrade in the future. It takes into consideration the D2X resolution and also the quality of Stephens glass.

There is no doubt that the 055 would be a significant step up from the current tripod, but with limitations.

To illustrate the differences I have attached pics comparing my Slik professional with the 055 and Benbo.

In the image of all three tripods the legs are at full extension. The D100 with 80-200 is to give scale.
As I have posted seperately for the Benbo where its top leg section can be seen, I have done a comparative pic between the 055 and the Slik.
I have included a picture of all three feet for area of surface contact, reference. The Slik obviously wins on a hard surface and the Benbo/Uniloc off road.

Don

As the saying goes...'A picture speaks a thousand words' Dons comparative photos illustrate stark differences. I caught tripod lust after I used Dons Slik Professional tripod on Saturday (see thread 'A get together with Stephen') I am now in search of a professional studio grade tripod as I don't want to be exposed to the what if question in my mind....or faced with tripod lust again.

Leif 19-04-06 22:25

Quote:

Hi Leif

I agree the Benbo Trekker is not a very well made tripod, a friend of mine had one for a while, he was always having trouble with it. The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a far more robust and versatile tripod, it's only slightly heavier than the Trekker and slightly cheaper to buy! The Uniloc range of tripods are very similar to the Benbo range, they are designed and made by the original designer of the Benbo but are superior in build quality.

nirofo.

Thanks. I had suspected as much. I disassembled my Uniloc 1600 and thought the design was simple but very functional.

Stephen: if you want to truly engage in tripod lust, check out Sachtler tripods. Or maybe you had better not for the sake of your family!

Leif

Andy 19-04-06 22:45

Quote:

Stephen: if you want to truly engage in tripod lust, check out Sachtler tripods. Or maybe you had better not for the sake of your family!

Leif

I did mention Sachtler to Stephen in a pm a couple of nights ago... he may still be recovering ;)

Leif 19-04-06 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
I did mention Sachtler to Stephen in a pm a couple of nights ago... he may still be recovering ;)

:D

Or furtively surfing their web site when he thinks no-one is looking ...

Canis Vulpes 20-04-06 07:53

Quote:

:D

Or furtively surfing their web site when he thinks no-one is looking ...

ROTFLOL :D

Canis Vulpes 20-04-06 18:49

Unfortunately there is not a Slik professional studio grade tripod in the country. The compact version is in supply and production however the larger 'professional 4' is made to order in Japan and one supplier claimed it could be over two months for delivery.

Bread and water for the family this evening so they acquire a taste for more economical means of living!!

Ian 20-04-06 18:58

Poor little James!

Canis Vulpes 27-04-06 19:33

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Unfortunately there is not a Slik professional studio grade tripod in the country. The compact version is in supply and production however the larger 'professional 4' is made to order in Japan and one supplier claimed it could be over two months for delivery.

Bread and water for the family this evening so they acquire a taste for more economical means of living!!

I was encouraged to phone the U.K. distributor for Slik to clear conflicting stories from several retailers and was told, professional 4 has been discontinued but when I was about to terminate the conversation I was told where the last two were sold. I telephoned these retailers in turn and to my surprise - JACKPOT! I am not the proud owner of a Slik 'Professional 4' tripod. This thing is extremely well build and rock steady at normal working height. The designation 'Professional 4' means it has four leg extensions and can be extended to almost eight feet, eight feet!

As I live in a regular house with normal height ceilings it is not possible to extend fully indoors so I went outside. Photos below are not a trick it really does extend higher than my garage without the centre column raised! Smaller photo at normal working height with MN229 head.

Don Hoey 28-04-06 09:30

Quote:

The designation 'Professional 4' means it has four leg extensions and can be extended to almost eight feet, eight feet!

A new catagory in the accessories section required - Stepladders :D

While mine is only the 3 legged version, I do find that quite often I am using it at such a height to get the angle, that I use a 2 tread set of steps.

Don

nirofo 28-04-06 13:57

Quote:

I was encouraged to phone the U.K. distributor for Slik to clear conflicting stories from several retailers and was told, professional 4 has been discontinued but when I was about to terminate the conversation I was told where the last two were sold. I telephoned these retailers in turn and to my surprise - JACKPOT! I am not the proud owner of a Slik 'Professional 4' tripod. This thing is extremely well build and rock steady at normal working height. The designation 'Professional 4' means it has four leg extensions and can be extended to almost eight feet, eight feet!

As I live in a regular house with normal height ceilings it is not possible to extend fully indoors so I went outside. Photos below are not a trick it really does extend higher than my garage without the centre column raised! Smaller photo at normal working height with MN229 head.

Why in heavens name would you want a tripod that extends to 8', how are you going to reach your camera, you'll need to include a set of step ladders in your photographic kit?

nirofo.