World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   WPF Photo Competitions Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Fortnightly challenge : "Portraits ... NOT People" 3rd Sept to midnight 17th (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6758)

Gidders 03-09-11 10:28

Fortnightly challenge : "Portraits ... NOT People" 3rd Sept to midnight 17th

Topic ... Portraits ... NOT People ... so that's animals, birds, insects, plants & flowers, even buildings.

Fortnightly Challenge is open to all members of WPF.
The challenge will be run on (GMT) time.

Post your photo in this thread from .. 3rd Sept to midnight 17th September.

On the 18th September a 3 day poll will be placed in this thread for voting on the best photo in this challenge.

(Please give your photo a title )

The winner picks a challenge for the following fortnight and starts a new thread.

1. One photo per member
2. To be taken during period stated above
3. The photo must include exif data if possible with date and time
4. Post your entry as one attachment directly in this thread
5. No discussion of entries in the thread
6. Do not post any entries in the gallery until after the voting has finished

Gidders 09-09-11 19:55

Hello ....

Is there anybody there ???

I thought this one would attract a lot of entries because there's so many options ...so come on - show us what you've got :)

postcardcv 09-09-11 22:06

1 Attachment(s)
I'll start then...

"orange and black"

awadhnavab 10-09-11 02:54

Clive, the problem with this challenge is that the picture needs to have been taken during this period....that will reduce the number of competitors...

Gidders 10-09-11 09:56

That's the same with all the fortnightly challenges Rajat. The idea of the challenge is to encourage people to go out and take pictures to fit a specific theme.

For the last challenge we had 12 enties in a fortnight... looking back we had 20 entries in a fortnight for the depth of field challenge.

There's still a week to go so lets see some more entries ... otherwise Peter may win by default ;)

awadhnavab 10-09-11 16:41

How do you check if the photo's been taken during the period....by the EXIF?

John&me 11-09-11 08:34

Greek Mythology

1 Attachment(s)
A Greek Mythology,portraits of Medusa and Atlantis

Arthur53 11-09-11 20:59

Doll Face

1 Attachment(s)
Window light on a dull day.

Tugboat 12-09-11 12:09

orange

1 Attachment(s)
orange flower

petrochemist 12-09-11 21:29

1 Attachment(s)
Dragonfly portrait

Gidders 13-09-11 10:04

1 Attachment(s)
Cat Nap zzz

bend the light 13-09-11 21:57

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Duck.

marydoll 14-09-11 22:28

Moorhen Chick

1 Attachment(s)
A very young Moorhen Chick

Glenvic 17-09-11 13:54

I'm not kissing him!!

1 Attachment(s)
A difficult challenge!

Gidders 19-09-11 08:42

OK Folks ... poll now open so cast your votes

Gidders 22-09-11 10:02

Oooohh a three way tie, I'll see if one of the mods can set up a fresh poll for three days with just these entries

Gidders 23-09-11 10:07

Ok folks - Shaphire has reset the poll to the three tied entries ... and the poll will run for three days until Midday on Monday & hopefully we will have a clear winner :)

Everyone's original votes have been cancelled and its now just down the three so please vote again

bend the light 23-09-11 10:13

It's not letting me re-vote, Clive. :(

Tugboat 23-09-11 11:34

it is telling me I have already voted

Peter Waites 23-09-11 11:47

Yup me too - can't vote. You could maybe set up a new poll from scratch?:)

petrochemist 23-09-11 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bend the light (Post 49829)
It's not letting me re-vote, Clive. :(

I assumed that was because I'd already voted for one of the three, and that the extended vote was for those who hadn't voted the first time round. The extension does seem to be giving one a chance to draw ahead:o

Arthur53 23-09-11 14:17

Strange, let me vote as normal. At the moment 7 people have voted. So its working for some but not all.
P.S. I voted first time around as well.

bend the light 23-09-11 14:35

I didn't vote for any of these three (sorry) so It can't be as Mike said...

petrochemist 23-09-11 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by bend the light (Post 49835)
I didn't vote for any of these three (sorry) so It can't be as Mike said...

That seems to leave the possibility that it's related to how long ago you voted, I was rather slow getting round to voting (Not the usual lethargy I was working away from home over the weekend)...

Gidders 25-09-11 10:05

One of the Mods has edited the poll so people can vote a second time :)

Peter Waites 25-09-11 10:36

Hi Clive - no big deal but for the record I still can't vote.

bend the light 25-09-11 13:05

Me neither. :(

Joe 25-09-11 19:58

Would like to vote, but it wont let me. sorry

postcardcv 25-09-11 20:08

I am looking into this but as I was able to vote in both the first poll and the tie breaker I am struggling to work out what is happening. I am unsure how we can fix this so all can vote... my only thought is to start a one day poll in a new thread (for the three shots in this tie breaker) that would hopefully allow all members to vote and hopefully get us a clear winner. So unless I can fix the issue or anyone comes up with a better idea I will do this later this evening. I know it's not ideal but it's the best I can come up with.

Taurid 26-09-11 06:01

^^^^^ sounds fair.
FWIW, I voted twice, once for the initial competition and then again for the tie breaker. My first vote was not for any of the three finalists. It registered my vote both times.

postcardcv 26-09-11 07:18

OK - I have closed the poll in this thread and started a new, one day tie breaker poll http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=6789 please vote now!

Gidders 26-09-11 15:22

Well its gone midday and despite a few people not being able to vote a second time, I think its time to close the competition and announce the winner.

So by a short head the winner is Peter/Postcardcv with Orange & Black - congratulations & over to you for the next challenge

Arthur53 26-09-11 19:41

Congratulations Postcard on a good win.
This most have been one of the strangest and closest fortnightly challenges for a long time.
Well done Gidders on keeping it going through all the confusion about voting.

petrochemist 26-09-11 21:23

A worthy winner!
Having such an entry right at the start discouraged me from entering my shot, at least until I read entries were low. I knew mine wasn't a contender.
Fortunately there were other great entries later on that made it into an interesting & close run battle.
I'll have to see if I can take part more often - perhaps it will help me raise my standards...

Tugboat 26-09-11 22:02

congrats Peter,it is a beautiful shot... I agree with Mike above...I was only there to make up the numbers...certainly was a close vote & the longest ever voting time...well done to everyone to get it all sorted... look forward to the next challenge.

Taurid 27-09-11 00:26

Congrats Peter.

marydoll 27-09-11 09:07

Yes Congratulations Peter - well done.

Marydoll.

postcardcv 27-09-11 09:58

well it seems that the voting caused more problems than it needed to with this one... the one day poll I posted ended in another three way tie so I'll accept the win on this one and start a new comp. I don't think any of us want to spend another week voting on the same set of photos!

Arthur53 27-09-11 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrochemist (Post 49869)
A worthy winner!
Having such an entry right at the start discouraged me from entering my shot, at least until I read entries were low. I knew mine wasn't a contender.
Fortunately there were other great entries later on that made it into an interesting & close run battle.
I'll have to see if I can take part more often - perhaps it will help me raise my standards...

I used to feel discouraged by the high standard of other peoples photos. Now look on it as a fun way to try to improve. It also makes me take photos that I would never have thought of Eg. photo of a doll, don't even photograph people.
I am always surprised and pleased if anyone votes for my photo.
Did not think my entry had a chance of competing but entered and hoped.
Go on and enter, nothing to lose and as you say, "perhaps it will help me raise my standards". Think its raised mine.

awadhnavab 27-09-11 16:33

Congratulations Peter....your picture deserved to win. Hoping for an interesting theme in the next challenge !