World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Cameras (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Shutter Actuation Software (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1472)

Canis Vulpes 09-10-06 16:50

Shutter Actuation Software

I am not sure if I have imagined this but I understand it is possible to interrogate a camera for the exact number of shutter actuations amongst other things.

I am looking at purchasing a used body but with low use. Software of this type would be very useful to prove low use.

Can anyone vouch for my understanding and point me in a direction where I can find such software.

sassan 09-10-06 18:12

Very good idea.
Seems possible with higher end bodies but no readily available by supplied software with the usual and common ones.
I believe it is possible to find it easy if you give the camera to manufacturer's repair center, so a call to local on may be of help. But I am sure someone has made a software for such check using cameras usb cable for communication. Will look and if find one, will post it here.

Don Hoey 09-10-06 21:04

I am sure you are right Stephen. Due to rain tomorrow so time for a web trawl.

Don

Don Hoey 09-10-06 21:32

Foxy Bob, while waiting for another break in the clouds I am doing a search. My assistant is on cloud watch :D

One possible so far http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/

Don

Canis Vulpes 09-10-06 21:54

I hope your assistant is wrapped up nice and warm!

I downloaded preview-extractor and it sure works. Looking at the end of RIAT the 'mileage' on my D2X was approx 13500 some 400 higher than the filename I set to consecutive after a few hours of ownership.

My fathers D70 had taken an amazing 600 I reckon 150 of those were from me!

This little utility is going to come in handy :)

Don Hoey 09-10-06 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox (Post 12296)
I hope your assistant is wrapped up nice and warm!

Stevie has a bottle of wine so she is fine. Reporting in is an excuse for a fill up :D :D

Does not look too good for a moon pic tonight at the moment.

I am still trawling, but glad that link provided something useful.

Don

ollieholmes 09-10-06 22:26

Interesting bit of software, its showing 16,511 images and the last photo taken at Dux yesterday was number 15,911.

Don Hoey 10-10-06 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fox (Post 12296)
I downloaded preview-extractor and it sure works. Looking at the end of RIAT the 'mileage' on my D2X was approx 13500 some 400 higher than the filename I set to consecutive after a few hours of ownership.

My fathers D70 had taken an amazing 600 I reckon 150 of those were from me!

This little utility is going to come in handy :)

I have just downloaded and run it too. I have a count 62 higher than image file name. Probably 30 of those were in store demo's to others so not too bad.

Just the thing if you are looking at a used Hs :)

Your father will start charging mileage on his D70 :D

Don

Canis Vulpes 10-10-06 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey (Post 12316)

Your father will start charging mileage on his D70 :D

Don

I feel I cannot ask him as I seemed to have it most of the summer for one reason or another. I am quite bad an giving things back that I borrow within the family. Still, my father is using my 28-200 f3.5-5.6D loaned him in 2004!

Very useful utility to confirm use. I can ask for a recent photo from any seller to check date and time and shutter use before I explore any sale further.

Thanks Don :)

Don Hoey 10-10-06 11:33

Just having a play with it.

No need to ever shoot RAW + Jpeg as it will extract all the jpegs for reviewing of images taken in a trice. Not much use for me as I do not fill 4 x 2gig cards at an airshow. :D

Very useful for dealing with Stevies pics though. She is not up with NX and on return from a do can now spin through her pics in PSP8 in no time. Prior to today I had to convert them to Jpegs individually as I have not worked out how to batch process.

Don