World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The little things we take for granted (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1168)

KC Foggin 15-06-06 17:24

The little things we take for granted

After giving a few classes this week on new software we are using in the office, I was amazed at how many hard core computer users did not know that you could open multiple files at one time and so I realized that perhaps some did not know that you can do this when looking at your photos in an image software program instead of looking at just one at a time.

All it entails is clicking on the first photo and then holding down the shift key, click on the end photo you want to open. I seldom open more than 5 at a time but it is a good way of going thru your shots pretty quickly.

So are there any other little tricks that you assumed everyone knew?

rogerscoth 15-06-06 18:18

Keyboard Shortcuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Foggin
After giving a few classes this week on new software we are using in the office, I was amazed at how many hard core computer users did not know that you could open multiple files at one time and so I realized that perhaps some did not know that you can do this when looking at your photos in an image software program instead of looking at just one at a time.

All it entails is clicking on the first photo and then holding down the shift key, click on the end photo you want to open. I seldom open more than 5 at a time but it is a good way of going thru your shots pretty quickly.

So are there any other little tricks that you assumed everyone knew?

For Windows keyboard shortcuts overview look at :-
http://www.wacug.org/kbshtcts.pdf
Also (at top of Internet Explorer page) click on Help/Contents and Index/Index - then type in 'Key' , double click on 'shortcuts', double click on 'Using Internet Explorer keyboard shortcuts....' for more or other shortcuts.

Roger

One of my oft repeated truisms - "you do not know what you do not know"

Christine 15-06-06 22:21

Thanks,KC.But in Windows,my Pictures,all ones images are displayed as thumbnails.One would surely not be able to open more than 1 at once to view on the screen as a large size image.

KC Foggin 15-06-06 23:46

Hi Christine.

Okay try this. Open up your imaging program, click on file and then find where your pics are. Even as thumbnails you should be able to click on the first one and then hold the shift key down and go to say the fourth picture. All 4 should be highlighted. Then click on open and see what happens. You using XP? I do and I can do it and I was able to do it with '98. Let me know.

Christine 16-06-06 22:52

Thanks,KC,I will give it a go.

Adey Baker 16-06-06 23:03

To open several files in a folder that are not next to each other, hover the mouse over the files until they highlight in blue whilst holding down the Ctrl key - there's a short delay before they highlight so you can move your mouse without accidentally selecting any files that you don't want. When you've selected all of your chosen files just right click and select 'open'

KC Foggin 17-06-06 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adey Baker
To open several files in a folder that are not next to each other, hover the mouse over the files until they highlight in blue whilst holding down the Ctrl key - there's a short delay before they highlight so you can move your mouse without accidentally selecting any files that you don't want. When you've selected all of your chosen files just right click and select 'open'

See! Something I did not know ;) Thanks Adey.

Ollie 20-06-06 18:38

Here's a few for you:

Hold down the windows key and press D to hide all windows and show your desktop. Press it again to restore the windows.

Windows Key + F brings up the Search Window

Windows Key + E brings up Windows Explorer

Use Alt - Tab to change between programmes. Hold down shift to go 'back' in the list.

Ollie

Christine 20-06-06 22:31

Thanks,Adey and KC yes, it works.

yelvertoft 21-06-06 07:47

Windows key + M minimises all the windows to show the desktop, I use this one all the time.