World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Trying to use gray ???? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2208)

inacar 30-03-07 19:13

Trying to use gray ????

1 Attachment(s)
Having a go at working with a gray card/ DVD player and see if my colors do well. This is the uncropped picture of my grand daughter and I think the colors are right on. Any suggestions on how to improve colors?

nldunne 30-03-07 22:44

Excellent clean, rich colours and very clean textured whites.

Right on the mark, inacar, as far as I can tell here. No need for any improvements in my eye - except you may want to be on her level - not looking down on her. You may like the image better that way.

Norm D

inacar 31-03-07 02:10

Sometimes my back just won't cooperate as much as I'd like. I'll try and do better.

nldunne 31-03-07 02:19

Ina

If you cannot do it, do not worry about.

If your body will not let you do it, just do the best you can - as you do. I just thought I would offer the suggestion - nothing more.

Norm D

prostie1200 31-03-07 22:19

HI Lisa

Had a close look at your portrait and its very pleasing.

For my preference here is a little too much Red.

In the shot you have Two neutral reference colours to try - the Grey of the laptop and the white of the emblem on her shirt.

Try the picker in PS levels first with White and then with Grey - choose the one which gives you the closest Skin colour - then go to Curves _ pick Red and drag the curve Down a smidgen to take out the Red cast until the image seems right for you.

I know its a bit of a bind, but if you dialled in a Custom WB for the light your shooting with the the Post Processing would be minimal.

Lovely subject by the way.

Kind Regards

Brian

Saphire 31-03-07 22:43

1 Attachment(s)
Lisa, a lovely natural photo but its a little to red for me as well, so I hope you don't mind, I have had a play to get a more natural colour. I went into levels and used the gray eyedropper on the laptop then I went into Hue/saturation and took -30 out of the red channel.

inacar 01-04-07 02:28

I don't mind but the shirt really is redder. I wish I had Adobe so I could play around a bit more with the rest of you. One day I will get better toys. I appreciate all your pointers.

Canis Vulpes 01-04-07 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 19087)
Lisa, a lovely natural photo but its a little to red for me as well, so I hope you don't mind, I have had a play to get a more natural colour. I went into levels and used the gray eyedropper on the laptop then I went into Hue/saturation and took -30 out of the red channel.

My opinion exactly but I think too much red has been taken out. Instead of the above try matching a grey point on the laptop as Saphire but reduce all colour channels/saturation to make the image real.

The human eye is tolerant to too much red greens and blues are more noticeable.

Saphire 01-04-07 09:49

1 Attachment(s)
Lisa, what program do you use to do your edits if I have the program I will have a go at editing in that to see what I get and tell you how I did it.

I have tried again in CS but have noticed the web photo looks a little underdone compared to the open image in CS and the profile settings are the same.
I have done the levels the same, in the Hue/saturation I have not gone quite so far.
Alll channels +15 red channel -15.

inacar 01-04-07 13:19

Christine, I have several freebees, I downloaded Faststone and that's where I've been lately. I have Canon Professional also but I'm completely lost there, I go in and come right back out. Of coarse I have the HP solutions, and a Picture It 7.0. which I had been using up till I went to to the Canon Camera. I was wondering does Adobe PS Elements have any of the tools I need or do you have to bite the bullet and get the "big PS"?

P.S. The -15 does look better now. Thank you.