World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Flash Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   High speed sync flash (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=7573)

1hdr4u 30-08-13 02:31

High speed sync flash

I'm new to using flash for shots but I was trying to take high speed shots and use my flash but was limited to 1/250 when I popped up my onboard flash on my Canon 60d. I did some research and found out that I need an outboard flash for the hot shoe that can high speed sync because I want to take some indoor shots at 1/2000 or faster. I read but I'm unsure what kind of flash unit I need that will speed sync with my Canon. I have been looking at the Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL, but their description doesn't say whether it has high speed sync feature. If a flash unit says it's E-TTL capable does that mean that it can high speed sync? Does the Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL have high speed sync and if not can anyone give me a list of flash units that have HSS capability that will work with my Canon 60d? Thanks for any help.

1hdr4u.

Gidders 30-08-13 16:51

Why do you want to use such a high shutter speed - the duration of the flash will be fast enough to stop most movements. I'm not sure what the duration of the on-board flash is (you may be able to google it) but it will get faster as the power is reduced. With my Canon 580Ex the slowest flash duration is 1/1000 & it goes up to 1/35000 at 1/128 power - see this link Canon-580ex-flash-duration

1hdr4u 31-08-13 03:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidders (Post 54197)
Why do you want to use such a high shutter speed - the duration of the flash will be fast enough to stop most movements. I'm not sure what the duration of the on-board flash is (you may be able to google it) but it will get faster as the power is reduced. With my Canon 580Ex the slowest flash duration is 1/1000 & it goes up to 1/35000 at 1/128 power - see this link Canon-580ex-flash-duration

How fast would onboard flash be in order to freeze motion? Also, I just ordered a Newer TT560 which has different power settings and wondered if that would do the job as far as freezing water drops etc.? Thanks.

1hdr4u 01-09-13 18:07

New shots

3 Attachment(s)
I recently took some photos of water drops without having to use a high speed shutter and just using my onboard flash. I had the shutter at the maximum allowed which is 1/250, but from what I am learning, I could use a lower speed shutter and still get the same results. Any helpful critique would be welcome.

wolfie 01-09-13 20:00

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hdr4u (Post 54211)
I recently took some photos of water drops without having to use a high speed shutter and just using my onboard flash. I had the shutter at the maximum allowed which is 1/250, but from what I am learning, I could use a lower speed shutter and still get the same results. Any helpful critique would be welcome.

Shutter speed is not important, as you will see from this photo. Shutter speed 1 sec.
However the power setting of the flash at 1/32 is very important. A low power setting increases the flash speed, but you do need a darkened room.

Harry

Gidders 02-09-13 10:17

I feel that the images need some sort of reference point. They all look to me as though they are taken looking down on the water droplets. As a result there is only a limited part of the image in focus. The images Ive seen tend to have the camera more horizontal / in the plane of the splash / droplets <<<Like this>>> or include some other object in the image <<<Like this>>> to give some context to the image.