World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Macro & Flash photography (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=817)

Nogbad 18-03-06 13:44

Macro & Flash photography

Hi all just a question which i am sure someone out there can answer.

I want to take some macro photos inddors.

The pop up flash is not powerful enough.

Is it possible to run a flash gun on a lead to place in various positions?

If so what do I need, and can I do it on a budget?

Many thanks

Nogbad

Don Hoey 18-03-06 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogbad
The pop up flash is not powerful enough.

Is it possible to run a flash gun on a lead to place in various positions?

If so what do I need, and can I do it on a budget?

Many thanks

Nogbad

Hi, and yes you can do it on a lead. If you notice in my behind the scenes shots in the ' Flash thread ' I almost never use on camera flash. Cannot remember your camera make to suggest a possible lead.

Don

Nogbad 18-03-06 15:11

Hi Don, I have a Nikon D70 and use the Nikon 60mm Nikor Micro lens, so pop up flash may be limited as I need to get quite close to the subject.

Thanks

Nogbad

Don Hoey 18-03-06 15:24

Quote:

Hi Don, I have a Nikon D70 and use the Nikon 60mm Nikor Micro lens, so pop up flash may be limited as I need to get quite close to the subject.

Thanks

Nogbad

Hi Nogbad,

On the case. I use the Nikon SC17 lead but do not know if that is still current. I know Stephen ( Foxy Bob ) has the SC28 which may have replaced it.

I will check that out. A few questions now to help with the answer.

Do you currently have a seperate flash ? If so does it link in to the camera's Intelligent Flash system?

If you do not yet have that then there are some budget considerations. I am guessing you would prefer the TTL metering route.

See you are going to spend those £££££'s you've been saving.:)

Don

Don Hoey 18-03-06 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
On the case. I use the Nikon SC17 lead but do not know if that is still current. I know Stephen ( Foxy Bob ) has the SC28 which may have replaced it.

Nogbad, The current Nikon off camera lead is the SC28 - WHE price £ 49.99.

Don

Nogbad 18-03-06 16:06

Don, no I don't have a separate flash and find the Nikon dedicated flash to expensive. I was looking to find another flash say by jessops or some other compatable flash.

I am hoping I can find a suitable set up as I am currently using loads of small prtable lamps and other light sources to light the subjects as well as natural light from the window.

Nogbad

Don Hoey 18-03-06 16:15

Quote:

Don, no I don't have a separate flash and find the Nikon dedicated flash to expensive. I was looking to find another flash say by jessops or some other compatable flash.

Nogbad

Nogbad,

I think we need the man himself here ( wolfie ).:)

Wolfie has a great and cheap Jessops setup but I don't know how he controls the light output. If you give an all up budget we can try and find the best options for the money.

Don

yelvertoft 18-03-06 19:46

Quote:

I am hoping I can find a suitable set up as I am currently using loads of small prtable lamps and other light sources to light the subjects as well as natural light from the window.

Nogbad

Hi Nogbad,

The shop down Eld Lane did me a Sigma EF 500 DG ST dedicated unit for £100. I find it is a very nice unit for the money, I took my "water ripples" shot using this unit. If you are serious about flash you may find the EF 500 DG SUPER to be a better buy, bit more bells and whistles, but more than I was looking for. You can get the Super for about £150.

Duncan

Canis Vulpes 18-03-06 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
I know Stephen ( Foxy Bob ) has the SC28 which may have replaced it.

Don

Yes! - I have SC-28 which replaced SC-17. I understand the SC-28 has a better flash or hot-shoe connector with greater security.

Stephen (Foxy Bob):D

Nogbad 19-03-06 14:45

Hi guy's thAnks for info it's a bit mind bogling. Price wise I am looking to pay between £150.00 and £200.00 but this includes a set of extension tubes as well.

I know Jessups do a flash with Bounce, swivel and Zoom(280D) for about £65.00 but dont mind paying upto a £100.00 for a flash.

Duncan, I know the shop in Eld lane it is where I bought the camera and all my lenses from.

Gosh this photography lark is getting expensive. I find myself saying "I need..."

Nogbad