World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   General Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Photographing wild flowers (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=976)

Leif 18-04-06 07:56

Photographing wild flowers

Yesterday I stumbled across a hillside of Pasque Flowers, a rare plant of chalk downs, which is apt given that it was Easter. Anyway, I'd like to photograph them, but wind vibration is a problem. Does anyone have any solutions which do not involve damage to the plant (which is about 4" high). I won't use a plamp due to potential damage. I have a translucent tent but it is a pain to use and requires its own tripod as support. A self supporting translucent tunnel would be useful.

Leif

Saphire 18-04-06 20:36

Leif can you make some sort of small windbreak out of card and some sticks.

Leif 18-04-06 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire
Leif can you make some sort of small windbreak out of card and some sticks.

Not a bad idea. I could make a seaside style windbreak from translucent fabric and some light poles. I might try with a makeshift version to see if turbulence on the leeward side is an issue.

Leif

nirofo 19-04-06 01:51

Hi Leif

I usually carry a 2' x 1' piece of old lightweight tent canvas as a wind break, I've stiched strips of canvas in the middle and at each end to thread a stick through. I set it up to form a 'V' shaped shelter around the subject, this usually stops enough wind to make photography possible, although not always! I have been known to use bin liners, my camera bag, my wifes jacket (it's preferable to using mine), and anthing lying around that may be suitable.

nirofo.

Nogbad 19-04-06 14:11

Leif, I sometimes use a plastic 6 pint Milk carton, cut out one panel and slip it behind the flower. You can hold it down with a tent peg put through a hole in the bottom of the carton.

Nogbad

Snowyowl 19-04-06 14:28

I like the idea of carrying a cloth to use as a wind break. Maybe ripstop nylon?
I'll get my wife to run something up for me. Any suggestions for colour?
I hope to do a lot of flower photos this year.

Saphire 19-04-06 14:33

Sky blue is good and so is white both will give a little reflective qualities as well.

nirofo 19-04-06 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowyowl
I like the idea of carrying a cloth to use as a wind break. Maybe ripstop nylon?
I'll get my wife to run something up for me. Any suggestions for colour?
I hope to do a lot of flower photos this year

Hi Snowyowl

The cloth I use was from a kids lightweight tent which had been destroyed in the usual way kids do these things, it just happened to be green!

nirofo.

Leif 21-04-06 17:21

Thanks for the numerous excellent suggestions. I tried using my tent again last night and it was useless. Oh well. Plenty more ideas to try .... Leif

SharonW 21-04-06 19:07

This month's BBC Wildlife mag suggests a collapsible reflector for just this purpose, then suggests a home-made foil-covered cardboard sheet as a cheap alternative. No idea how well this would work in reality, but it may be worth a go.