World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   98se To XP (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1365)

John 22-08-06 19:05

98se To XP

Yes, I am still using Windows 98se and I realise that it is high time I went to XP so that I can use some of the modern imaging tools. Can I get an upgrade kit and will all my Programs such as Neat Image, Excel, Word etc be rendered obsolete. Thank you.

John

Don Hoey 22-08-06 20:30

Hi John,

I do not know about Neat Image, but Excel and Word should be fine. Mine still work.

Don

yelvertoft 22-08-06 20:34

They should all work fine. You may find it less painful inthe long run to back-up all your personal data, wipe the HDD and do a clean install from scratch with this change from 98 to XP.

John 22-08-06 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Hi John,

I do not know about Neat Image, but Excel and Word should be fine. Mine still work.

Don

Thanks Don.

John

John 22-08-06 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelvertoft
They should all work fine. You may find it less painful inthe long run to back-up all your personal data, wipe the HDD and do a clean install from scratch with this change from 98 to XP.

Thanks, sounds like a massive task.

John

nirofo 23-08-06 01:38

I shouldn't bother upgrading Win 98 to Win XP, it's not worth the hassle and frought with problems, do a clean install on a freshly formatted hard drive partition. Most of the software you mentioned will run directly on Win XP, you should find they are all upgradeable for using with Win XP.

nirofo.

John 23-08-06 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirofo
I shouldn't bother upgrading Win 98 to Win XP, it's not worth the hassle and frought with problems, do a clean install on a freshly formatted hard drive partition. Most of the software you mentioned will run directly on Win XP, you should find they are all upgradeable for using with Win XP.

nirofo.

Thanks Nirofo will do that.

John

wolfie 23-08-06 10:01

I do not anticipate software problems, but you may find hardware/driver incompatabilites.

I suffered a few of these when I change to XP.

Harry

Canis Vulpes 23-08-06 10:12

Software designed for Windows 98 or other operating systems than XP, Windows XP has a compatibility mode where software can be run in 'windows 98' mode. I have been running XP since it was new without problem and had to use compatibility only once with Sage accounting software.

I am sure you will have no problems.

Wheeler 23-08-06 10:32

I agree that the best option is a fresh installation on a clean HDD. It's a good opportunity to stick in a much bigger HDD, they're a great deal cheaper than they used to be and digital photography doesn't half eat up disc space.

My only real issues on moving to XP were that the drivers for my laser printer weren't verified (it still works although I get an annoying message every time I boot up) and my slide/negative scanner hasn't had XP drivers issued and won't work unless I use VueScan instead (I haven't used the scanner in a couple of years though).

If your PC was originally spec'd for Win98 you may find that it struggles with XP. This may be an opportunity to review your hardware as well.