World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Things to photograph in the Peak District (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4240)

weeds 11-03-09 11:05

Things to photograph in the Peak District

Hi all,

I am geared up and off to the United Kingdom at the end of this month. I will be visiting the Peak District and staying in Derbyshire. As I have never been there before can anyone give me some suggestions on things and areas to photograph.

I am interested in scenic photography and of villages etc.

I'll also be in and around Merseyside for a bit of time and was wondering if there are any landmarks, buildings or famous things and places that would be worth photographing.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers.

gordon g 11-03-09 14:13

Some great venues around the Hathersage area in the NE Peaks. You might try Padley Gorge near Grindleford for small views, waterfalls, woods etc - good in any weather, but especially if the big views arent on. Also well worth a look are Higgar Tor - good views all round, but particularly along Stanage Edge, Stanage Edge itself - High Neb in particular, Frogatt and Curbar Edges - gritstone escarpment, nice woods and some moorland, big views from Mam Tor near Castleton, sunsets from Derwent Edge above Ladybower Reservoir. If you look in my gallery you'll see images form most of these places, amongst other UK venues.

andy153 11-03-09 16:28

Hi there, In Liverpool there are two cathedrals and the Liver Building along with many other areas. Manchester is in between the peaks and Liverpool with The Lowry Museum and Art Gallery, Imperial War Museum North, and a slight detour north would take you to Howarth - Bronte Country and Skipton.

Birdsnapper 11-03-09 18:28

Chester is well worth a visit. Saphire and Mario have recently posted photos of Chester.

yelvertoft 11-03-09 19:48

Surprised nobody has mentioned Buxton itself. There's some good, photogenic buildings there.

weeds 12-03-09 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdsnapper (Post 34685)
Chester is well worth a visit. Saphire and Mario have recently posted photos of Chester.

Hi Birdsnapper. As luck would have it we are visiting Chester for a day so I'll have a look around.

kwanon 12-03-09 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 34671)
Hi all,

I am geared up and off to the United Kingdom at the end of this month. I will be visiting the Peak District and staying in Derbyshire. As I have never been there before can anyone give me some suggestions on things and areas to photograph.

I am interested in scenic photography and of villages etc.......

Eyam (The plague village)
Buxton (Spa town)
Bakewell (for the Bakewell pudding)
Chatsworth (Palace of the Peaks)
Matlock and Matlock Bath
Crich (Tramway museum)
Illam (for Dove dale)
Holmfirth (Location for "Last of the summer wine" TV series and the gallery of Ashley Jackson - world renowned water colour artist)