World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is this an email scam. (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3412)

Saphire 05-06-08 21:05

Email scam.

I have just received this email, it come with an email address and a phone number to contact them. I don't fall for these things but thought I should warn others. .

Wording in email.

Lotto Unltd. wishes to inform you that your email account have been
picked as a winner of a lump sum pay out of Five hundred and thirty-one thousand, two
hundred and fifty-nine Great Britain pounds (531,259.00 pounds
sterlings)
To begin your claim, please contact your claims agent:

miketoll 05-06-08 21:17

Has all the hallmarks of a classic scam. On the BBC news tonight they said someone falls for this type of scam roughly every 4 minutes and loses thousands of pounds.

jamieZ740 05-06-08 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketoll (Post 29074)
Has all the hallmarks of a classic scam. On the BBC news tonight they said someone falls for this type of scam roughly every 4 minutes and loses thousands of pounds.

how thick are internet users??

Saphire 05-06-08 21:23

I am amazed that they can get away with it, giving what looks like a genuine email address and phone number you would think they would be easy to catch. Its usually people who don't use there computers much who fall for these things.

snapper 06-06-08 06:00

You'd better believe it - it's a scam! We regularly get similar rubbish, often originating from Nigeria offering massive amounts from lucrative gold mines or proceeds of some government deal that must be paid out to lucky recipients around the world. Invariably, the money can only be released after you deposit the requested thousands of dollars into the sender's bank account to ensure your share! How people fall for this stuff is amazing but then we've just had a local $50,000 dollar lottery that many forked out for believing they would win - odds around 50,000 million to one!

Derekb 06-06-08 06:52

There will always be those people looking for "the free lunch" and how that free lunch is marketed will invariably catch out those seeking the 'goodies' .

I'm a Yorkshireman, one of eight children from an appallingly poor background but my dear departed mother who raised us alone taught me something I have never forgot - "there are no handouts, work hard and you'll get what you deserve".

I have no sympathy for those who fall for these scams, because they are looking for something for nothing...

Adey Baker 06-06-08 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb (Post 29079)

I have no sympathy for those who fall for these scams, because they are looking for something for nothing...

What's the old saying: 'A fool and his money are soon parted!'

miketoll 06-06-08 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 29077)
I am amazed that they can get away with it, giving what looks like a genuine email address and phone number you would think they would be easy to catch.

I think the scammers target people in other countries by and large so the police in the victims country have no jurisdiction.

GFinch 24-06-08 19:10

This has just started going around and loads of people seem to be posting on forums asking if it is true or not. It is spam :)

snapper 25-06-08 08:39

Just realized, my previous post should have said "50 million" rather than 50,000 million but chance of winning remains extremely remote. Chance of extracting any of the money offered by the scammers somewhat less likely! Unfortunately, they continue to have some success hooking hopefuls!