View Single Post
Old 21-01-07, 23:39

I found a link where a number of electronics bods like myself had extended the cable by various means. It seems to work OK upto five or six metres OK. Part of the problem is making sure the digital signals don't get degraded by extending the cable too far. There were many links to a store in the USA that would make custom lengths upto 50 metres. Personally I think 50 metres is too far and will cause a problem. When I got onto the site they seem to have stopped selling them. Maybe Canon got onto them for one of two reasons. Firstly the item will no longer conform to the electrical regulations. i.e the CE mark in Europe or FCC in USA. This includes electrical interference. The other is if the signals are degraded much this will lead to unreliable operation.

Alot of the guys cut the cable and inserted a longer cable with plugs and sockets. In my case I replaced the exsisting cable with a 6 way multicore screened cable. Thereby I can restore the original cable if need be.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated