View Single Post
Old 31-12-05, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft

Take a look around the landscapes gallery, there's plenty to chose from, it's one of our most popular categories. Look at a selection of pictures that you like and try and understand why you like them. The difficulty in landscapes is trying to capture a sense of scale. One of the best pictures I've seen that achieves this is:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hoto=722&cat=2

It all really boils down to personal taste, but IMHO, landscapes are more to do with composition than equipment. Having said that, a tripod is essential, but you've got one of those I see, you may also want a wider lens than 28mm depending on the style of landscape you are aiming for.

Regards,

Duncan.
Thank you Duncan for using one of my pictures as example. Some more information on the picture: this is somewhere in British Columbia, Canada. We stopped along the road, because people had spotted a moose. My camera at that time was a Canon Eos 300 (analogue that is). The lens used: Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III to be exact. The pictures of the moose (hidden between the trees) won't make it to these galleries. Walking back to the car I saw this magnificent view of the glacier green-coloured water and massive mountains. At that time I wished I had brought my more wide-angle lens (28-90), but I didn't. So I just took the picture at 75mm... and I'm glad. My best landscape picture so far.

As previous posters have said, I agree it is more about composition than equipment. And perhaps try not to include everything in one picture. Leaving unnecessary things out is more difficult, but will benefit the picture in my opinion.

Danny