View Single Post
Old 01-01-06, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
I'd seriously look at a 2nd hand lens >300mm rather than get a cheap 300mm that you'll end up getting frutrated with. If it means you have to wait and save up, then wait and save up.
Ollie,

Let me introduce 'lens lust'. Its a condition where the sufferer becomes unhappy with current lens line-up and decides a more expensive alternative often with longer reach or faster performance.

Duncan is absolutely right here, we have all done it - just passing on our experience. For that recommendation a perfect lens for airshows is Nikon 80-400VR but it's costly and not a first lens but with VR (Vibration Reduction) it allows slow shutter speeds for those prop shots.

Second choice is that Sigma 50-500 again, its wide enough (50mm) for those taxy shots at Duxford and has extreme reach (500mm) for those airbourne shots at Old Warden. I reckon 30% of all lenses at airshows are 50-500 or 170-500 but 50-500 is a great all rounder and a 'keep-on' lens.

Be patient and try to get a used copy I believe £350 should be a realistic cost.