View Single Post
Old 28-02-07, 03:46

Only being a partly mac user (And even then, very frustrate user every time), I know I am a totally PC personality individual . Well remembering form Windows 95, I know it is always irresistible not to go for the new OS, sooner if not later, no mater how much one tries to stay with the old. Anything new is always appealing and I never can find out why...

Few point I like to share:

- Vista is very memory hungry OS, so 1 GB ram is bare necessity, and in fact its 2 or more GB that you start to see the norm.

- Vista is a power monster. Don't try to put it on your laptop. You will be disappointed with the very shorten battery life (1/2 to 1/3 of regular life of time now you get with your XP). And if you thought of buying a new laptop with vista on it, think again. Battery industry is getting revolutionized as we talk and we soon will witness emerge of new batteries like never seen before. So to say, then vista may suffice for your through a trans-American flight. I would think the new batteries may not be compatible with current laptops, or even if so, then they will come at a significant price tag. So for now, if you are serious for converting to vista, think of putting it on your desktop.

- Expect a lot of soft and hard ware incompatibilities so if you have to keep what you have right now, you are much better off to have XP. This doesn't mean you have to stop getting Vista. You can partition you hard drive or better, if you have enough available IDE slots, you may add a new hard drive and put vista on it, so that way you can have the best of both worlds, going fast with new tech and then keeping the comfort of older peripherals or non compatible softwares.

- Vista is intense on graphics. You need a lot better video card than what is under the hood now. This is to bring out that special look of vista, for which it get a lot of admirers.

- Even in best hard ware conditions, expect the unexpected. Photo editing softwares such as photoshop, will be running slower no matter how good you hardware status is. So expect to see CS4 in near future.

- Vista due to securties incorporated has a tendency to create problem for your wireless connection specially if you are planning to use it in dorm or where you are dependent on an older ISP provider (Dont through out your XP disk yet, as I said have it on the second partition).

Well if you are sure you will never switch to Vista, then please be honest to me when questioning you in a year time.
MS had announce initially that Vista is the last OS they ever build as the next generation of machines will be independent of OS may be something similar to iphone or what ever it will be called after sue settles down. I am sure we will never be independent of uncle Bill or cousin's uncle Steve. MS soon changed their mind and current view is that the next MS OS will be out in 2 years. So if you think you will wait for all bugs to be terminated, think again or you may want to wait for a much longer time that you though.

Love to hear your point view of Vista if you are working with it or otherwise the rumors and news.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 28-02-07 at 03:57.