View Single Post
Old 02-01-06, 00:32

Interesting question this. I'm amazed how many of my friends, including professional photographers, fail to back up their work. Twice recently I have had to go through a disc recovery process to recover vital files from friends computers. Before I retired I worked in a technical enviroment where daily backup was mandatory and failure to comply could lead to discilinary action,and I must admit that I'm still a bit fanatical about it.

I have a PC with two innternal 160GB drives and three external 300GB drives drives. The only thing on the primary internal drive is the operatiing system and programme files. The three external 300GB drives are used for backup using a differential backup process. the second internal drive is used for "work in progress"

I organise my RAW files converted to dng into files called disc 1,2,3 etc, each disc is filled up until it contains 4.5GB when it is burned to DVD for archive purposes, using data verify in each burn. these disc are stored in a cool dark place as a last resort.

Each night I run an automated differential back up of my second nternal hard drive onto each of the external hard drives, one of which is stored in a different part of the house.

call me fanatical, but since I retired 9 months ago I have taken over 40,000 shots (thank God for the digital revolution) over a large part of Europe and replacing them would cost a fortune.

One advantage of Adobe bridge in CS2 is that by the use of approriate key words and keyword sets I can locate any of the pictures, either raw or porcessed in a matter of seconds, great stuff modern technology!!!