Thread: Lens Musings
View Single Post
Old 14-03-07, 22:38

Today I decided to try some bird shots with the 400mm and have attatched some results.

These pics were taken at Titchwell RSPB Reserve. Quite a lot of time was spent just sitting still on the side of the large pond nearest the beach, so the birds became accustomed to our presence and came near enough for worth while photography. I tried for some shots at Hunstanton earlier, but some people seemed to think their dogs needed a close up view of the shorebirds.

As this was my first experience of this, unlike a lot of members here, and in view of Sassans post, I thought worth relating my observations.

Manual focus on birds on the move is a challenge when using a manual focus f5.6 lens at 400mm. Adding a 2x converter, so effectively focusing at f11 is an even greater challenge. I found 400mm a bit short for this sort of thing so I now have a better understanding of the need for even more reach with this subject. Adding a converter really cripples effective aperture so I now fully appreciate the benefits of as large an apperture as possible if a converter is to be added, which it undoubtably will.

A/F, well I did seriously miss it but there is a definate buzz to getting a sharp image without it.

VR, not sure I would have seen a benefit as I used a monopod. I will qualify that by saying that although I think the lens is up to scratch, Nikon does not recommend it be coupled to the TC201 converter so there is image degradation. So for the stars of this type of photography I know these are in the lower resolution order, and Andy's pics for example would well prove that. For these guys I understand VR is a must for absolute quality.

However I think these do show that you can do this sort of photography reasonably well without the absolute ' bees knees ' in kit. It just takes time and patience, and you do miss shots if like me you are operating on single frame. Yes I know, still operating in film mode.

Pics attached are all full frame 1.6 crop sensor.
Pic 1 : At 400mm.
Pic2 : Similar distance but 400 with 2x converter attached
Pic3 : Stay still and quiet long enough and something will come into range. Again 400mm & 2x converter. In fact this bird ended up under the radar so as to speak.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400mm-Full-frame.jpg (128.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 400mm-+-2x-converter full frame.jpg (127.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 400mm-&-2x-converter-full-frame.jpg (138.2 KB, 17 views)