View Single Post
Old 09-04-07, 20:41
Super Moderator

Angry Canon L series not all its cracked up to be?

Up until recently I've been doing my portrait work with my Canon 17-85 IS with ilumination by (battery powered) flash at f5.6-f8.0 For head & shoulders shots focusing distance has been ~1.5 mtrs.

I have now switched over to continuous lighting so I dont have to wait for the flashes to recycle, and also I'm wanting to move into baby & toddler portraiture and repeated flashes might become a problem. I have two Interfit cool lite 500w heads with soft boxes but these only give a shutter speed of ~1/60 @ f5.6 & ISO 800. While my 17-85 lens has IS so camera shake is not a problem at this speed, subject movement sometimes is.

So I've been looking at lenses with a faster maximum aperture and have a second hand Canon 28-70 f2.8 L series on approval. I've taken some test shots of a target using a tripod, cable release and mirror lock at 50mm & 70mm (the focal length range I'm most likely to be using) and compared against my 17-85 EF S lens. The target I've used is attached to this post and is about 30 x 45cm. I'll post the test result s in the next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test target.jpg (150.9 KB, 37 views)