View Single Post
Old 14-04-07, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tee View Post
Don, I found this on the net:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8213955
Does this mean I can actually use the MD setting to produce flash at 1/10th power?..Actually whilst writing this I thought, "try it"..Well it doesnt produce as much flash, I can only assume it's 1/10th!..I won't obviously hold anyone to this, but I assume it cant do my camera any harm, can it?
Al.
I will read the link in a sec but MD setting used to apply to motor drive and was a seriously reduced output otherwise the flash could not keep up on the recharging front. So 1/10 sounds reasonable. I really do not know why they bothered as pho journalists used quantum battery packs on really powerfull guns like the Metz CT60.

Now to the business of the day.

The best I could do to simulate the piston. Quite a lot larger and I had to use a sink unit aluminium liner as the backdrop as it was big enough for the job.

I used manual exposure and turned the flash gun power settings down to get as near as I could to the SB22. Notice from the behind the scenes how close I had to place the Metz. It only has three settings and so I set it on minimum to be realistic. Aperture was f13 at ISO 100 for undiffused. That had to be increased to ISO 200 for the diffused shots as the diffuser costs a stop of light.

Attached pics are :
Behind the scenes showing the layout.
A composite of two shots with ON camera flash. One straight undiffused, and the other with the SB80-DX diffused.
Lastly an OFF camera flash shot.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chuck behind the scenes.jpg (110.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Chuck On camera flash.jpg (118.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Chuck Off camera flash.jpg (190.5 KB, 8 views)