View Single Post
Old 26-06-07, 01:13

Default Fuji Finepix S9500

Hello .. this is my first posting;
I have been "into" photography since I was 10, when I was bequeathed the sum of £10 when my grandfather died. I bought a Digna Dacora. Worked my way through various cameras, including Regulette and Voigtlander Vitesse; got into SLR via Zenith B, two actually, saved swapping lenses, very useful on building sites, as it just mattered not one wit if it was dropped (or even lost), and they were dropped on many an occasion without the slightest damage internally. For creative work I used a Pentax - model escapes me, I gave it away as the Sigma 70-300mm lens got stuck and unusable, and got an Olympus OM10 and a Nikon F2, with F2SB Photomic Finder DP-3 and 500mm f8 reflex lens. All manner of lenses and tubes, bellows etc. This became rather a massive amount of stuff to carry around.
At 65, I found that retail therapy was part of passing through a massive unwelcome life change, and I bought a Fuji Finepix S9500, as this has 28-300mm lens, and this was my first inroad into digital photography. Subjects that interest me are just about anything, but particulary ships and the sea, fishing vessels and ferries. All manner of moods and weather. Buildings and scenery, cloud formations, moods of the sea, animals, flowers ..... I also use the camera for photographing historical documents at Records Offices. I have taken 35,000 images in this way (and more to be taken), let alone the pictures on holday and of harbour scenes and ships. I also have a Kodak V550 as it is so portable.
I have a two pronged query on the Fuji camera.
a] I have noticed that focusing can be irritating and slow, and is often not as resolved and as sharp as it used to be. Particularly for shots in very bright sunlight. I have had the camera for a year. It never was that fast that instant focus could be obtained (but then I was used to the Nikon, which was point, focus and frame all in one action). Is it possible that focusing action is deteriorating? Is focusing better/quicker on other digital cameras?
b] I am happy with the one lens as it suits my need for quick change of shot from close up to wide, instead of fiddling in the bag and then removing and attaching. I would like to know of anyones views on this camera and its lens, and if they have any suggestions as to a recommended alternative camera. I have a limited budget, but I am off to Egypt next year, and I do not want to come home with a lot of pictures of less than desirable quality. I took 1500 on my holiday in Crete and Santorini, and there were around thirty which had not focused. Am I too fussy, am I expecting too much? It may be that I have not explored all of the settings that are available. I certainly cannot afford some of the cameras on the street at over £800. I have six 1Gb XD cards for the Fuji, a necessity.
Best Wishes