Thread: Jumping Ship
View Single Post
Old 15-10-07, 18:19

Default Jumping Ship

I have almost decided to jump the Nikon ship. I have always been a Nikon fan and I have a D80 + 18-135 and a 300 f4 and a Kenko 1.4x converter. I want to get a 500mm prime but I cannot justify or afford a Nikon. I could afford a Sigma and yes I know it is a good lens but I know that I will not be happy and will want to change it next year and I won't be able to do so as I have one chance here.

The Canon 500mm f4 has IS and I can just about afford it. It comes in almost £1000 less than the non-VR Nikon which is a considerable amount of change.

My questions are - am I mad selling my Nikon Kit and buying Canon.

and Secondly - beside the 500mm what should I be looking at. My main interests are bird photography, natural photography in general and landscapes. The Nikon 18-135 was a nice general lens - not brilliant but quite adequate and the 300 is a brilliant walk around lens for everything. I have had a look at canon and there does not seem to be a replacement for the 18 - 135. The Canon 300 f4 looks like a direct replacement for the Nikon. Should I look at the 28-135 + a 300 or just go for the 28-300, or the 17-85 and a 70-300 (DO or no DO). Some help is required.

I have done some sums and by selling my Nikon kit I will be over my budget but should be able to get a EOS 40D + 500mm f4 + ???

Thanks