View Single Post
Old 28-12-07, 20:45

Default 75 pence DIY Snoot

I really needed a snoot when having a flash workout yesterday so a special purchase at the supermarket today. Not really sure how effective this would be but I bought 2 packs of party straws for use as light straighteners.

Trimmed the bendy bit off a packs worth, and trimmed a kitchen roll inner card tube to fit the long sections and the smaller sections. Smaller sections worked but gave to wide a light spread so I went with the 5 inch longer bits.

The attatched image is the trial version so not tarted up at all.

I stuffed the whole packs worth of straws into the cardboard tube and used 2 rubber rings left over from a plumbing job to really grip each end of the tube tight.
To attatch to the flash I could have done a Blue Peter job with cardboard but found the diffuser attatchment from my Vivitar 283. Stuffed a 52mm threaded rubber lens hood inside so the thread is on the outside and masking taped in. Dug out a 52mm filter ring without the glass and taped it to the card tube with the straws in. Screw into position on the flash and job done.

Next was to take a pic with the snoot to prove it. For this I used my geared head as the front provides a perfect target for the snoot.

Attatched image shows the area lit by the snoot positioned 20 inches away at 45 degrees with SB-80DX on 1/4 power so not much light loss.

Final image is adding the Metz at full power undiffused. A bit of foil reflected light onto the base without intruding onto the black.

Tomorrow I will take some pics with it disassembled to visually show how it is put together.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snoot on SB80-DX .jpg (56.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Snoot-coverage-at-20-inches.jpg (50.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 405 geared head.jpg (151.1 KB, 38 views)