View Single Post
Old 04-01-08, 10:37

The course was for 3 and a half days, full board in a very pleasant hotel - in Swaledale for my course in the Yorkshire Dales. Cost £695, which sounds expensive until you figure in the long hours of small group and 1:1 attention - the group size is limited to 5 people, and Garry's style is to allow you to explore each locatoin to find an image that appeals to you. He will then go round the group and discuss with each person their intended image. There was plenty of time spent at each location - we might only visit 2 or three in the course of the day, but would be on location for most of the day; a good eight or ten hours. On my course we had two pre-dawn starts to catch sunrise, on others at other times of year, it might be sunset instead.
The benefits for me were many, but in particular, the oppurtunity to work intensively on composition in company of other photographers, and the 'off camera' aspects of landscape photography such as location choice, timing of visits to particular locations and how to plan ahead and develop a 'hit list' of locations and images to maximise your oppurtunities for really special images.
I enjoyed it so much that I'm going on another course with Garry this year to a different location.
Have a look at his website www.thedigitaldawn.com- he gives full course details there, and has galleries of images made by his students, which give a good flavour of the locations.