View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 11:07
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Chris,really do understand your point here,but I guess that the POTW,is the actual shot,and not the content ,as such,if that makes sense.To say it is the quality of the shot,as opposed to what the shot actually depicts.This is why ,maybe with modern art etc,we have unmade beds,and pickled sheeps heads,which command large amounts of money,as opposed to paintings and sculptures as we used to see.
I have wondered about this myself Christine and Clive; for example, I have put comments of admiration on a number of Nigel Blake's recent shots of military planes despite the fact that I hate most things about military planes (spent too many of my first 4 years playing target). The trendy modern art is simply explained as fashion pushed hard by a ruthless marketing industry and I wouldn't cross the road to see it. There is much excellent art pushed out by it and never gets beyond provincial galleries; pity.

Pictures of derelict buildings, some good ones recently by you Jamie, are social comment, a traditional and valid function of art, and hopefully taking a good pic is something, but also all, one can do about them. Picking up potentially dangerous rubbish is something everyone can do something about easily, thank you for that Sharon. The stuff on Aldburgh beach is the remaining fishermen's work/rest area & am so pleased to see remains of industry in areas that have mostly been gentrified.

Getting back to where I started, I suspect that the popularity of these type of shots derives from amateurs wishing to associate themselves with a glamorous modern industy. You used to have to be paid to go round town advertising someones products, now most people seem only too happy to do it free, but sorry, get no thanks from me for doing so.

But I think its time for small hair on tail to stop trying to wag the dog (and wait with bated breath to see next weeks POTW).