View Single Post
Old 20-08-08, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
They do look nice, but as I've found with the early 300mm Sigma, which is the same colour.....it's a totally impracticle colour for hiding marks and prangs to the barrel! ....they also make you stand out in a crowd (tho some may like this?)

Joe sorry but this time you are not right. In fact the color is so practical that you see newer lenses including some of the expensive long Nikon and Sony/Minolta/Zeiss are done this way.

This is because especially on the long heavy lenses when pros use them in major fields such as this Olympics ground etc, usually under sun and natural conditions, the color Black by virtue of absorbing sun's energy turns warm, causing expansions of part. On critical levels this does decrease the quality by changes in focal length. Then miss function and many other problems are in association to traditional black color too. White just reflects the light and its energy so remains cooler and more resistant to these thermal changes. All simple physics. If you don't believe me ask Dav. I will not be surprise to see once the dust of zealousness settles, many other companies also follow Canon's color, especially for long heavy focal length lenses.

As for outer lens' Red ring or lip stick part I am not so sure. May be you are right there.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN