Thread: RAW or JPEG
View Single Post
Old 04-02-09, 19:42

I used to be a die-hard, strict jpeg only evangelist, couldn't be bothered with messing about with raw processing.

Then, I had a conversion. I discovered that the raw processing package that came bundled with my camera could, in a couple of mouse clicks, import all the (raw) files from my card and process them just as though I'd been shooting as in-camera jpegs. I ended up with jpeg files just as though I'd been shooting them in camera, but now, I also had the raw files.

So what? you may ask. With the raw files as backups, I could take those shots that really deserved a bit more care and attention in post-processing, working on the few "good 'uns" from raw. The snapshots were fine as jpegs.

Even if you don't intend doing any serious post-processing right now, I recommend you switch to raw format so you can go back to those files later on should you ever get to that stage in your photography. There's a few vintage pictures I have that I'm kicking myself for now, because I used to shoot only in jpeg and don't have the raw to go back to.

You can always convert a raw to a jpeg, you can't go back the other way.

So, shoot raw, use the software that came bundled with your camera to do quick and dirty jpeg conversions, just as though you'd been shooting in-camera jpegs, keep hold of the raw files for the future.

Duncan