View Single Post
Old 21-03-09, 15:20

I think postcardcv has hit the nail on the head. PC Photo 1 is ISO 100, PC Photo 2 is ISO 800. Bridge cameras such as yours will lose huge amounts of detail at higher ISO settings. The other images, especially the outdoor ones, show that there is nothing actually wrong with your camera at all. If the picture you attached in your original post is a crop taken from an image similar to PC Photo 2, then I'm not surprised it looks as bad as it does, this would be a very, very small part of the overall image.

The fuzzy bits on the grass are again as I would expect from this kind of camera. A zoom lens that has an equivalent 35mm film focal length range from 26mm to 520mm(!) is not going to be as sharp as a Leica prime. Also, the size of the sensor in the camera is very small on these kind of cameras compared to dSLR models, together with the in-camera jpeg processing, the results are consistent with what I'd expect from a bridge camera.

The pictures are all pretty much what I'd expect to see. If you insist on pixel peeping at 100% image size, using ISO 800 on a bridge camera, then you are going to be disappointed. Look at the picture, not the pixels.