Thread: Not sharp..
View Single Post
Old 08-04-09, 23:52

Sally, the point I was trying to make is, are you getting sharp images by using auto focus? or is it just manual focus where focus is missing slightly? The answer would find out whether it is just a bad 18-55 lens example you have (yeah, heard there's one or two about too)....Same has happened with Canon's 18-55 lens too. Wife's 18-55 is really sharp, but mother-in-laws is soft, yet on paper they should be identical.
If you're looking around for lenses, make sure they are Nikon AF-S ones (ie ones with the AF motor built in) if you ever want to use AF option with the D40. AF-D ones from Nikon (or any other manufacturer like Sigma, Tamron etc) should give you the auto metering etc, but no AF. Some of nikon's AF-S lenses are truely amazing tho, and the range is constantly growing as nikon replace the older AF-D designs
Older manual lenses will also physical fit, but you'll loose metering with them.

Also, as you're looking on ebay, I think there was a few chinese sellers on there with 'split screen' type focus screens for sale. Not sure if you have the option to change the screen on the D40, or if it's only something a camera technician can do. Just thinking the screens really help loads when manually focusing. I used them on my older D1 kit when I was using manual lenses with great success.

Good luck
cheers

Last edited by Joe; 08-04-09 at 23:55.