View Single Post
Old 28-05-09, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
.......... Does the iTTL work out the flash settings for the slave flashes on an SB600 even though its zoom head only goes to 85mm and I'm running a 105mm Micro? Or would I have to adjust the flash compensation manually?

Not having any of these newer units I cannot be much help on this score. I guess from a straight exposure viewpoint iTTL can cover correct exposure. If you are wanting to get creative I think remote units will be on a mix of iTTL and manual.

The amount of zoom you mention for use with your 105mm Micro is only really critical at longer ranges. With the D90 you will hit the diffraction limit by f13. That means fine detail will gradually get more smeared as you stop down below that. If you use any sort of diffuser you really want the max light spread, so the zoom should be at its widest setting, and preferably fit a Stofen style diffuser to max that. There is shed loads of info on diffusion in this forum to help in explaining it without resorting to the use of light cubes. For my most recent post in the IR on the CHEAP thread, the lenses were taken with one off camera flash - SB80-DX fitted with a Stofen diffuser set to 1/2 power, - fired through a reflector to act as a diffuser, and one polystyrene reflector to relieve shadows.
Exposure was manual, ISO100 at f11, and lens used was 55 micro at a distance of around 30 inches.

So whatever flashgun you get I sugest you really get to understand what you can do with that one, before looking at multiple units.

As a side question for Andy that may be relavent, if you later on go for multi units. Does the SB600 work in Commander Mode or will an SU-800 be required to do that ? Andy could also confirm my thought that SB800 can act as a Commander without necessarily requiring the SU-800, as long as the flash is connected to the camera with SC-28 or SC-29 cables

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 28-05-09 at 12:09.