View Single Post
Old 17-06-09, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by J A Mortram View Post
Was given this HUGE monster by the ever gracious and total star, Mark at Norfolk Photographic... and as he said... it came complete with free dust ; ) it's a Braun F910 Pro unit... any thoughts or views anyone?... I never even heard of this system before...

Cheers,

Good health to all,

Jim
Jim, before you let it anywhere near your camera, it is essential you know what the trigger voltage on this unit is. I don't see this model listed in the usual database:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Get some fresh batteries, put them in, switch it on, and VERY, VERY carefully measure the voltage across the centre contact on the bottom of the unit and the "earth" contact that normally connects to the side lugs on your hotshoe using a voltmeter. Set the voltmeter to measure VDC and set the range to full scale deflection of 500V. If the needle/scale doesn't move then set a lower range until you can get a reliable reading.

See the data on safe voltages in the link given above to determine if it's safe to attach to your hotshoe.

Some of these old units can have trigger voltages of several hundred Volts DC, which hurts (a lot) if you touch it when doing the measurement. If you don't have a voltmeter, find a local electrician that can do this for you.

You beat me to it Don.