View Single Post
Old 07-10-09, 16:12
Super Moderator

Default macro madness... the Canon MP-E65

Last week I got offered a Canon MP-E65 lens at what seemed like a good price. I'd looked at it in the past and fancied trying one so I figured I'd buy it and see how I went (if I don't use it much I'll just sell it on). It's a mad lens that gives 1:1 true macro at ~ 4 inches and the goes in from there getting down to 1:5 at ~1.5 inches. Given the extreme magnification the DOF is very shallow so getting the focus right is a challenge, I'll be investing in a focusing rail next. The next challenge is lighting, for testing I've been using a camera mounted flash and a small reflector. It's not an ideal set up so I'll be trying the focus of camera next. If anyone else on here is using one I'd be interested to hear how you set it up.

I have a feeling that getting the most out of this lens will take a lot of practice, hopefully some when my daughter isn't hanging on my leg! I'm going to keep at it for a while and will post some results on this thread, hopefully they'll start to improve soon. Attached are a few of the first shots with it, far from perfect but they give an idea of what this lens can achive. All uncropped, a daisy, a screw and a coin at ~1:5 and the screw at 1:1 to give some scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daisy_7712.jpg (80.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg screw_7724.jpg (139.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg money_7741.jpg (149.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg screw_7731.jpg (62.8 KB, 11 views)