View Single Post
Old 23-10-09, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
The 128 is a cracking head for use with a small video camera or a spotting scope, but it's not ideal for use with a long lens. I notice that on the listing the seller claims that it's ideal for use with a 500 f4! The head is not rated to hold that kind of weight and it would be madness to put such a big lens on it.
I must be mad then, because I've used one personally for over 10 years with just such a combination with great success and no problems! I find it particularly good for working from a hide attached to my Uniloc 1600 Major Tripod, I've also used one successfully attached to a Benro C-298n Carbon Fibre Tripod for more mobile use. The fluid effect is particularly good as you can set it to the tension you require and the lens stays where it is until you want to move it, the action in both panning and tilting is very smooth. The Sigma 150-500 is nowhere near the combined weight of the Nikon set up so the 128 head wouldn't even be stressed. I would reccommend the Manfrotto 128RC through many years experience using one and at less than a quarter the price of a gimbal!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 23-10-09 at 12:49.