Thread: Jessops
View Single Post
Old 07-11-09, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Have you got something against Jessops in particular?

Worth asking as your arguement does not seem stack up, and before you think I am a no1 Jessops supporter I am not. Just trying to get a balanced view.

Stores - I have no idea how many Jessops has in the UK but Calumet has 11 and none in the high cost shopping areas like Westfield and no doubt other major city centre locations. So there is no valid comparison to be made there.

Prices - I had no real idea so accepted what you said but now I thought I would check out Camera Price Buster anyway. Now I do not see your arguement at all. On price alone you can pick on any number of other stores that are more expensive than Jessops. Depends what you look at but Calumet is sometimes more expensive than Jessops.

Link to Camera Price Buster
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.htmlDon
My experience of my local Jessops, is that they are over priced and the staff have very little knowledge of the items that they are expected to sell. On the back of that there is a another shop not far from Jessops, that I will agree is similarly priced and staffed, so maybe I'm being a bit too general by singling Jessops out as a whole, this may not be the case all over the group.

I also concede the fact that Calumet is sometimes more expensive than others and vis versa, however, I, like many on here reserve the right to shop around. The argument that by looking in Jessops but buying elsewhere is adding to their woes, does not add up. If they had the piece of kit at a competitive price I would no doubt buy from them, because, generally by the time I come to buy something I've researched it sufficiently to undertand what it does and how well it does it, to not need the staff's input. It is then down to the price. Consistently, this is where Jessops fail.

Last edited by en830; 08-11-09 at 23:37.