View Single Post
Old 02-03-06, 14:58

I have collected – bad word really, should have said accumulated many paintings and pieces of sculpture and photographic art over the years, not for the Name but because I liked them and wanted to continue to look and wonder at them.
The artists, sculptors, painters and photographers did what they did because that’s how they saw what they were looking at, and had the courage to pursue their line of sight regardless of popular critique.
One thing they had in common was skill, they had served their apprenticeship and where craftsmen at their bent.
We all have different ways of absorbing knowledge; some require attending Art College, some from reading and others from hands on trial and error experience. Lichfield was one of the latter, joining as a junior in a London photographic studio, and subsequently leaving to adopt his own style, with no small success.
I think what I am really trying to say is, the beauty and form which I see, I cannot convey to another until I have mastered the tools and the ability use them.
What I am looking forward to, is that day when I produce a picture that not only pleases others, but also pleases me.