View Single Post
Old 15-04-06, 13:30
Super Moderator

Default Using your standard settings

There are two ways of using your standard settings:
  1. Select the appropriate setting from the setting dialogue box ACR Noise settings.jpgwhen you open the image in ACR and then make any other changes to the adjust tab as usual
  2. Apply directly from Bridge. Select the image(s) to apply the setting to, right click and them select the required setting from the pop up. Bridge Noise setting.jpgThis is the most efficient way because all images in a file at the same ISO can have the same setting applies at once.
The setting I ended up with for my 20D are
IS0 _ Luminance _Colour Noise
100 _____10 _________0
200 _____10 _________5
400 _____15 _________5
800 _____25 _________10
1600 ____35 _________15
3200 ____55 _________20

I find that, unless I have to apply more that ½ stop exposure correction when I open the image, I can usually leave these setting alone. Over ½ stop I either readjust the colour noise & luminance manually or, apply the standard setting for the next ISO up. Eg an image shot at ISO 200 but one stop under exposed, I use the standard noise setting for ISO 400

I have compared the results of using ACR with Noise Ninja on the target shot as ISO 3200 and both do a pretty good job. See 100% crops of selected parts of the test target attached, with no noise reduction and the ACR & Noise Ninja each with then sharpened with smartsharpen 150% radius 0.5. There is not much to choose between them on colour noise removal, but to my eye Noise Ninja apples a little more luminance smoothing, but at the expense of a little detail looking where the line merge on at the resolution chart. I could have increased the luminance smoothing in ACR but my preference is to retain the detail – yours may be different. The BIG advantage of ACR is that it is a one shot process.

Hope this all makes sense – if not let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No noise rdn.jpg (269.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ACR noise rdn.jpg (208.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Noise ninja rdn.jpg (209.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Gidders; 15-04-06 at 13:32.