View Single Post
Old 21-04-06, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I have am open mind really. The existing tripod is so mickey mouse it has Disney stamped on it! Seriously when I used Don's ball head I nearly lost my camera and lens combination but caught as a reflex reaction to losing grip. A pan and tilt head seems more stable but as I am putting the family on rations to pay for an over budget legs, I don't want to use an inferior head. Slik heads cost as much as their legs but are they worth it?

Anybody used a head they found later to cause problem with stability
?
It all comes down to how much you wan't to spend, can you induce the wife and kids to live on bread and water for a few more weeks? If you're going for a ball and socket ARCA take some beating, but are very pricey, on the other hand, the Gitzo horizontal ball heads are very good and come in several sizes and are not overly expensive! 3 Way pan and tilts are mainly down to Gitzo or Manfrotto, personally I don't like 3 way pan and tilts, but then that's my preference. I use a 30mm ball and socket with Teflon bearing surfaces for general work and a 2 way fluid damped pan and tilt for big lens work.

nirofo.