View Single Post
Old 26-05-06, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I extensively used two lenses on my Fuji S2, 24-120VR and 80-400VR. Both lenses produced sharp usable images on my former camera but when I switched to D2X, I expected super clear sharp large images but they were no better than S2. After reading forums and racking my brain in disappointment I braved a pro lens (200-400VR). I became real happy with my new lens and body combination and surpassed my expectations. I have replaced all lenses with a pro set and all give splendid large images and only little USM is required on the final resized version.
I am curious about this. Are you referring to the 80-400 when used wide open, or at all apertures, compared to the 200-400 F4? I would have thought that the 80-400 would be indistinguisable on A4 prints at F11 and maybe F8. But that's just a guess.

I have a 24-85 AFS lens that cost a pittance (£150) and is as sharp as more expensive lenses and a prime at 24mm below F5.6. I have always understood pro lenses to give a) better build and sealing b) better edge performance wide open and stopped down 1 stop and c) a faster maximum aperture. Mid-range lenses are usually decent enough, but the latest cheap Nikkors are a bit iffy.

Leif