Thread: Planning
View Single Post
Old 02-02-06, 22:39

Cuddy ,an interesting point.Yes,I do think it depends on environment ,time of day etc,and yes one can plan to have the most suitable equipment ,and to be in the right place at the right time.I live by the sea,50 yds from the beach,and 25yds from the river(just across the road from the house)I know that when the tide is high,esp at this time of the year,the ducks,eg Mergansers,GoldenEye,etc are swimming up the river as the tide comes in,bringing their fish.So that is the time to be in place ,hanging over the harbour wall with a 100-400 lens.Good close shots can be take.When the tide has gone out,the Redhsanks and Lapwings appear,along with Pied Wagtails etc,foraging for for food,so again ,hang around with a zoom lens.If the day is wind free(not very often) and the light is good,I always take digiscoping equipment,on the off chance there may be a seal on the sandbank,and later in the Spring,the Herons come to the shore line for their fish suppers.If the sea is calm,and the sun is setting,then I make sure I include a wideangle lens so that I do not miss one of our beautiful sunsets.So yes, to a certain degree,I do plan.although I am restricted as to where I can go ,and how close to the birds I can get,I do not have to carry anything ,I pile it all into my trike carrier,which does make things easier.Time consuming,but everything is to hand if I need it.But I must admit I am quite happy just to go out with a pair of binoculars and one camera and lens and take pot luck. But no,I do not set up shots ,as such,not expert enough,just happen to be lucky ,now and again.I think sometimes one can be too serious.I just enjoy being outside in the wonderful scenery,and watching the birds etc,and if I manage a good shot,then I feel quite contented.Many times I have been outside all day,and not taken a single photo,but have just enjoyed watching the birds and looking at the beautiful views of the mountains and sea.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356