Thread: PC vs Mac
View Single Post
Old 01-12-15, 07:35

Hi Ade, If the PC had been reliable then I wouldn't have bothered changing. I might get used to the Mac, but it will always be poor to use.

Apple are proud of the unit's beautiful slim looks with its curved back and extremely thin edges. To maintain the thin edges, Apple haven't included a disc re-writer, co I've had to fork out extra for an external disc drive (this is on top of the £850.00 paid for the original unit). So now my table has an extra bit of clutter. The unit comes with four USB ports, a card reader, and headphone socket. But, again, to keep the unit's good looks, these are at the back of the machine. So, every time you need to plug or unplug something, the whole machine has to be turned around. All this just to maintain the thin edges. And here's the thing: most computer users that I know look at the front of the screen, not the side.

Included with the computer is a cordless mouse that ca be re-charged from the computer. However, the charging cord plugs into the underside of the mouse resulting in the mouse not being usable whilst re-charging.

The Windows Explorer in a PC can be opened run a number of times simultaneously. This means that it's possible to compare file and folder contents and transfer easily between them. The Mac equivalent ('Finder") does not allow this multiple viewing, making my work-flow more onerous. I really do hope that I've yet to learn that there is a way of opening multiple Finder views - it's driving me up the wall not to be able.

Two of my favourite pieces of software (free to download) is FastStone Image Viewer and ProgeCad (CADS programme). Unfortunately, they are not available for Macs.

Since writing my first post, I've tried restarting my old PC and it's sort of working (95%) and not as fast. If it keeps on working OK, I think that my grandchildren will be getting a Mac as a combined Christmas present.