View Single Post
Old 23-08-10, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
.............I haven't yet developed any of my film shots, so I guess until then I can't make a final judgement over which medium gives me the best results. Overall the digi does have some big niggles (rubbish viewfinder in comparison to any old SLR, the size and weight, no subtlety, still don't like the way the manual controls are, need to mess around on the computer for hours afterwards) but also pros like fast AF, versatility and the fact you don't need to worry about the film being too warm, or too humid, or in any way damaged (such anxiety really grips me when I'm away from home togging).

Overall one medium doesn't hinder another, and it is my hope that as digital image capture becomes all the more sophisticated it will help delineate the niche that film has and thus bring more people back to this wonderful alternative way of taking pictures.
Hi Alex,

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

A couple of points from this post ....
I have no experience of the 30D but I cannot believe the viewfinder is that bad, particulary as you say the camera is excellent for macro where a poor finder would be a serious handicap. Ok I have not looked through a OM finder but I cannot imagine that it is that much better than my F3HP.

Can you define no subtlety or is that related to the camera being a bit larger than the OM-1.

The need to mess around on a computer for hours afterwards is the big surprise. I have done colour neg and transparency printing for years in a home darkroom and by comparison digital is a whole new world in terms of processing time. Of course if your negs are being outsourced for dev and print then you may well be feeling it. But unless you are having pro level printing done by a lab ( that includes dodge/burn as appropriate ) or in B&W paper grade to suite the subject, then it could never compare with what is achievable in a darkroom with a bit of process knowledge and expeience. All a bit like the difference between accepting straight out of camera images, and those that have been processed to maximise the potential of the subject.

While I know that you have a big thing for film, this bit I do not quite follow [ and it is my hope that as digital image capture becomes all the more sophisticated it will help delineate the niche that film has and thus bring more people back to this wonderful alternative way of taking pictures. ]

If this relates to the complexity of functions achievable then then even the most complex digital camera can be set to manual. Equally film and some film cameras, particularly large format jobs with front and rear swings, tilts and shifts can become a complex medium if thats what you want. So perhaps 'alternative way of taking pictures' needs greater definition.

Don