Thread: Nikon D3 Review
View Single Post
Old 30-05-08, 19:34

Default Nikon D3 Review

Well folks - got my hands on one at last, To all who are used to the D2 series weight, heft, ergonomics - very much the same. Controls are in the expected places so swop over has no nasty surprises bar one that annoys me. I always carry a spare battery - EN-EL4a with compartment cover fixed on. Batteries are interchangeable - great - compartment covers - which look identical are NOT. Very small fractional difference but D2 series compartment covers do not fit D3.

Rear LCD now a great 3" and superb view BUT - it does not come with any protection so only time will tell if it scratches!! Menu similar to D300 with several new additions.

You no longer have a grid you can superimpose - instead you have an artificial horizon to tell you the camera is level - I like the grid so time will tell - I hope I can rely on you all to tell me if my horizons start to wander out of true!!

Viewfinder is brilliant - no other description full 100% - bright and a joy to look through.

One problem is a load of DX lenses although it automatically detects them. But it chops itself down to DX format and reduces itself to 5.1mp - mind you it does then accelerate from 9fps to 11fps - still we'll see - it certainly makes my D70; D200; D2H redundant so I'll be offering some bargains shortly. D2X - I'm not too sure because I like it so much

Have loaded the latest firmware updates and tomorrow I start shooting - Please watch for the posts and let me know what you think. I'll continue to report back on this thread over the near future to keep you up to date.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!