Thread: Nikon D3 Review
View Single Post
Old 01-06-08, 10:00

Quote:
Until Nikon launch anything near the D2X with DX sensor I shall not be tempted.
I have to say that I love my D2X as well, It is interesting that Nikon offer 3 downloadable picture controls for the D300 and the D3 and they are the settings for the D2X. On the D300 I use the D2X settings almost exclusively. I have downloaded both sets but for the time being I am using the D3's own settings. As for D3H's & D3X's - I'm not bothered - on the D2 series Nikon quickly brought out firmware upgrades that increased the functionality of the D2X to D2Xs standard - I assume they will continue the pattern.

FX format -

I'm old enough to remember and have owned a Canon Demi - a film camera that shot half frame 35 mm film. I got 72 instead of 36 shots. Now a days it's Compact Flash cards. The D3 has two slots that can be set up in various ways - one backs up the other or one acts as overflow or one stores RAW the other JPEG - I am using both slots - shooting RAW & Large JPEG - no compression and Optimal Quality. I have a 16Gb card in slot one and a 12Gb card in slot two - set as overflow. Picture count shows 524. Set to small jpeg alone and you are into thousands.
On the D3 the FX format is immediately noticeable when transfered to Photoshop - pictures are sharper, clearer and detail is superb especially in shadows. They are a lot easier to edit if you are working on the small details - I'm going to do a side by side comparison with some D2x shots and will report back because they do seem clearer than the D2X.

In many ways I agree with Stephen - As a D2X owner I was not really bothered but the opportunity arose to be able to afford D300 and D3 so I took it. AF and follow focus are definitely better with both D3 and D300 than the D2X or D200. They are faster and more responsive - as I said before its an animal on both.

More to follow - Andy

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!