View Single Post
Old 25-01-06, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee
If I could return to Christine's point re the Canon Macro setting.

What in-camera settings are made by the camera when the macro option is chosen? How are these settings designed to help in macro situations?

I ask because if these settings are helpful they may act as a guide when using your own settings in manual mode.
Hi Kenny,

I totally agree with Harry in is camera settings.

I have been trawling the net to see if the Macro program actual setting curve is there but I have not managed to find it. The only reference I have found is in DP Review re the Canon 350D. Not much detail there other than the program sets aperture to a medium setting to try and get a reasonable zone of sharpness but the background is blurred and flash mode is disabled.

The program will assume hand held so will firstly aim to get your shutter speed to 1/60 sec and then as the light level increases it will stop the lens down until f8 is reached. As the light level increases it will move the shutter speed to 1/125 and then take the aperture through to f16. A further increase in light level will probably move the shutter speed to 1/250 with the aperture being taken through to f22.

In true macro you will be looking at using f16, f22 or f32 and therefore using a tripod.

You should be able to see in the viewfinder what settings the camera would use if the macro mode is selected. I would suspect they are based on ' close up ' as in macro facility on zoom lenses rather than ' macro ' as in 1:1 or closer.

So to anwer your question as to ' magical ' setting ..... refer to Harry's setting guide.

Don