View Single Post
Old 29-10-12, 20:55

Derivation of words can be very interesting but the Greek root of the word photography does not set the meaning in stone. Language and meaning evolves, always has and always will.
I was bought up on film and did my own B&W developing and printing, believe me there was plenty of playing around with different parameters like the grade of paper, different films, different chemicals and even different types of enlargers to alter the final image. Dodging and burning were routine to overcome the inadequate dynamic range of even the best films so no essential difference there. Things were added or cloned in too. Did medium format plus of course 35mm film.

The only trouble with being such a purist is that you let other people dictate what you can or cannot take. I agree with you up to a point in that I do little post processing and massive construction of an image is not for me (yes I did use that term image) but I will not let other people dictate the photo I can take just because they are litterbugs or whatever so I will clone where necessary. There are people who would argue that you interfere too much by removing the litter or would consider straightening a hem wrong but that everything should be shot exactly as it is regardless.
It is a matter of opinion and preference where you draw the line so I am happy to differ.