View Single Post
Old 22-02-06, 08:23

Yeah, DPR has gone completely ape-unmentionablesubstance. Any moment now I expect to see a sea of uber-geeks storming the Canon headquarters throwing stones and burning their red-striped lenses because it isn't full-frame/isn't 12.8MP/doesn't have a mobile phone in it. That picture posted above? They would love one of those.

Stupid gits.

Sometimes I feel that owning a Canon is a bit like being a Collingwood supporter (in the UK, read Man United) or actually liking a Microsoft software package - it's OK in itself, it's just that you feel embarrased to admit you belong to the same one as all the lunatic football hooligans over there in the other stand.

Hey, it's a camera, OK? You can take pictures with it.

sigh

And you know the really funny thing? The actual 20D replacement is, all things considered, a good deal better than I expected. Canon have avoided doing any of the things I was dreading: 1.3 form to nix my stunningly good EF-S 10-22 wide angle lens and nice little EF-S 60mm macro; SD instead of proper Compact Flash; lots more MP than the detail/noise equation can justify, and so on. No big mistakes: that's the first half of doing anything well. Also, Canon delivered a better raw buffer (though not as much better as I both hoped and expected) and better firmware with ISO in the VF and RBG histogram. And to my surprise and delight, spot metering, which I though they would never do.

All in all, it's a substantially more useful camera than I'd expected - and substantially more usable than half of the half-baked ideas thrown around by the DPR crowd would have resulted in too - and the knucklehead techofreaks are spitting chips about it. Go figure.

It's a strange, strange world.