View Single Post
Old 19-01-07, 15:32

Default A budget quality built S/H Nikon digi body for a camera killer. which one?

I'm off to do some Rugby shots tommorrow. Contax bodies and Tamron loaded up, and plenty of film
But...........

I can't help thinking I would seriously benefit from using a digi body

I've been looking at 'budget' secondhand bodies for a while. I don't want to spend thousands, and the justification simply isn't there yet to change all my Tamron adaptall2 lenses...some of which cost a small fortune.

Basically, due to lens mount combatibilty I've narrowed it down to Pentax and Nikon. The few contax N digi bodies around are purely collectors items, command silly money, and aren't compatible with my older MF contax mount bodies..
So my favoured being Nikon, also partly due to how My old F3 lasted and partly due to Jacky's (wife's) electrics going wonky on her old Pentax.

Ideally I'd like something where the slightest bit of moisture in the air didn't trigger a blind panic from me, worrying that it could damage the camera..and, something that if it picked up a dink on the prism housing wouldn't gaurantee me to send it off for a repair....
Basically I'm after a digi body that has the same, or similar build quality to the old F3 ........If I was staying with film an F5 body would seem the natural progression. Therefore, by logic a D1, D1h or D1x (F5 based) digi body, especially a D1x might fit the bill?? D2 series stuff is way to expensive for me just yet!

Anyone with D1x experience in the field out there?
Will the 5.7 mpixel resolution be seriously limiting?

Or should I forget this option...D80's are still too expensive and new a model for secondhand, so how about a S/H D70?

Eventually I may well get some AF nikon lenses, but for now full compatability with manual Tamron lenses is essential.
17mm,
24mm
28mm
28-70mm
35-105 f/2.8
90mm macro
135 f/2.5
200mm f/3.5
70-210mm
60-300mm
180mm f/2.5
300mm f/2.8
1.4x
2x convertors
....i really don't want to have to bin all these Tamron lenses in the household just yet!

Would value some seriuos Nikon user views out there?
What do people think?

thanks, Joe

Last edited by Joe; 19-01-07 at 15:53.