View Single Post
Old 08-02-06, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
For dragonflies you need at least 200mm on FF so about 150mm on APS in my experience. I have had success with a 105mm lens on FF with dragonflies, but it is hard work. 200mm on APS is so much easier.

The Nikon 60mm micro lens is quite something. I compared it to my modest but well reviewed 24-85 AFS zoom at 60mm and F11, subject distance about 2m, and the micro lens gave noticeably higher contrast and sharpness. When stopped down, zooms often match primes. It is my favourite lens as the optics are so good.

Leif
You do not need a macro lens for dragonflies. Macro lens is originally for life size or bigger than life pictures. Many lenses now are called macro lenses but could not take life size pictures, you have to blow them up in the computer, nothing to do with the lens. I usually use my Nikkor80-400VR for dragonflies and butterflies. See my dragonfly picture here. http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/fav/page/2

Real macro lenses are expensive because they are designed for close-up works. They can not sell them in big volume like conventional lenses. You will have to pay for quality. There are no such thing as cheap good macro lens.

It's the ccd and the lens that produce sharp sparkling pictures. No other things will. So buy the camera that has the best ccd, luckily at present it's the D50 which is the lowest priced dslr from Canon or Nikon. Buy the best lenses. With modern high quality zoom lens you do not need shelffull of lenses.