View Single Post
Old 08-02-06, 13:22

[quote=ruchai]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo

Hi nirofo

There is optimum distance from the subject and not the more further back the better. The 60mm lens when use with a digital camera is a 90mm lens. 90mm is a telephoto. In the old days with Leica 35mm cameras 90mm is considered medium telephoto. During the last days of film slr 100mm macro lenses are very popular. When these people switched to dslr they forgot to divide the focal length of their macro lenses with 1.5!

This picture like many other was taken with my NikonMicro 60mm. I would not pick other lenses even if I had them there.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...cat/500/page/1
Hi ruchai

Why do you say there is optimum distance from the subject and not the more further back the better, magnification is a combination of the focal distance from the subject to the lens and the focal length of the lens, so unless you have a specific reason to get physically very close to the subject a longer focal length macro lens has the advantage of obtaining the macro image size at a greater distance, therefore less stress for the subject. As I pointed out, a 90mm 1/1 macro becomes a 135mm 1/1 macro on a Nikon DSLR, (probably similar on Canon, not sure.) For insect macro work I would think being able to shoot at 1/1 on a 135mm lens is very useful and desirable.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 08-02-06 at 13:29.